No more "Boy Scouts"......

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
IMG_2759.jpegIMG_2761.jpegSure. Mebbe sewin' up an old dog got cut by a pig, mebbe a gaping turtle bite wound if you trapped in the swamp, or a nice new pair of curtains for the Mrs. Lots of applications. It's just the patch on the vest part that gits me.
You might want to rethink that from a different perspective.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I'm late to the party on this, but I've stomped around the woods a little with @Railroader and his grandsons. And not only does he know the outdoors, he knows a thing or two about leading and teaching youngin's. And to speak to some skills he's taught them, you can hand either one of them a rifle they've never shot, and they WILL hit what they're aiming at. And they will walk up and down hills all day without seeing a single squirrel and without a single complaint.

That deserves a hat-tip
:tip:

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
That ain't no vest. And, a lot of why it hits me as odd is because it seems like something reserved for Military type uniforms. Not a patch with a camfire on it that reads "WAY TO GO!"
Not to burst your bubble but the Boy Scouts have never worn vests. You must have been a Girl Scout leader.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I wonder if ida got a patch for that freeby un mentionable the scout leader offered me if i came over to his tent on that campin trip with the scouts when i zabout 12 or 14.
Organizations for kids attract predators.
No more scouts for me and mine.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
That ain't no vest. And, a lot of why it hits me as odd is because it seems like something reserved for Military type uniforms. Not a patch with a camfire on it that reads "WAY TO GO!"
It mirrors military and paramilitary public service organizations. Police, fire, military. You meet a standard and get identifiable recognition for it. There was a time in this country when this was an admired path. Scouting, high school marksmanship, and other efforts prepared even city kids for outdoor life.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
It mirrors military and paramilitary public service organizations. Police, fire, military. You meet a standard and get identifiable recognition for it. There was a time in this country when this was an admired path. Scouting, high school marksmanship, and other efforts prepared even city kids for outdoor life.

I think you are looking for offense where there ain't none to be taken. The fact it mirrors those organizations is why it strikes me as odd.

And Im not into vests, but that's a personal preference, I get it.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Come on, man. You can do better than that.

I just googled boy scout vest n got this....

Sorry but your google is wrong as none of those vests are part of the BSA uniform. Now the sash worn over the right shoulder with MB patches is part of the awards uniform for recognizing accomplishments and advancements.

shopping.jpeg

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I wonder if ida got a patch for that freeby un mentionable the scout leader offered me if i came over to his tent on that campin trip with the scouts when i zabout 12 or 14.
Organizations for kids attract predators.
No more scouts for me and mine.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I think you are looking for offense where there ain't none to be taken. The fact it mirrors those organizations is why it strikes me as odd.

And Im not into vests, but that's a personal preference, I get it.
Times have changed since the Scouts were established. There were no keyboard warriors back then, you actually had to do something for accomplishments to be recognize.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
How do think you the Velcro gets on uniform and the patch. Every single patch on my uniform was sewn to velcro. facepalm:
I seriously doubt you sewn the velcro to the patch and pretty sure a bunch of boy scouts didn't either. I'm failing to see the point you're trying to make. I know the loop is sewed on the uniforms, I can see the stitches but the hook is probably ironed on the patch for production sake anyway.:rolleyes:

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Sorry but your google is wrong as none of those vests are part of the BSA uniform. Now the sash worn over the right shoulder with MB patches is part of the awards uniform for recognizing accomplishments and advancements.

View attachment 1304781

Got it. I'm not such the fan of neckerchiefs either, even though I am sure they are some kinda part of some kind of official public service uniform somewhere out there.

Teaching kids how to make fire, and shoot stuff, and be good people is a good thing. No issue with that. I just remember my son was in Awana's (church type scout mimic group) and I caught myself seweing a patch on his vest for him and realized I was sewing a patch on a vest so I stopped. I found other ways for him to lern about Jesus. Same with the scouts, just took him outdoors n taught him all the hunting, fishing, knots, fire, cooking, etc things I figger he may have picked up from them.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I'm late to the party on this, but I've stomped around the woods a little with @Railroader and his grandsons. And not only does he know the outdoors, he knows a thing or two about leading and teaching youngin's. And to speak to some skills he's taught them, you can hand either one of them a rifle they've never shot, and they WILL hit what they're aiming at. And they will walk up and down hills all day without seeing a single squirrel and without a single complaint.

That deserves a hat-tip
:tip:
I watched them two try their hand flint knappin at 1eyefishin’s huntin camp for hours and had a ball watchin.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I seriously doubt you sewn the velcro to the patch and pretty sure a bunch of boy scouts didn't either. I'm failing to see the point you're trying to make. I know the loop is sewed on the uniforms, I can see the stitches but the hook is probably ironed on the patch for production sake anyway.:rolleyes:
You’re wrong, I normally let the tailor at the cleaners sew Velcro to the uniform and the patches to Velcro. Taking them on and off loosened the stitching. The point being I was glad I was taught how to repair them without a sewing machine when deployed. It’s a useful skill to teach young men.IMG_2762.jpeg