Non smoker thread

sinclair1

There’s two kinds of smokers.
Type one doesn’t smoke in the house or car and you seldom smell them when inside.
Then there’s that super smoker, smokes in the house and all their clothes stink, they smoke in the car, then come inside with that jacket that doesn’t get washed, but sits in the smoked up house.
Do you wonder if they know how bad they stink?
Well, I guess I just told :bounce:

Ok, smokers, pile on stinky. I would rather sit by someone with a dump in their pants.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
There’s two kinds of smokers.
Type one doesn’t smoke in the house or car and you seldom smell them when inside.
Then there’s that super smoker, smokes in the house and all their clothes stink, they smoke in the car, then come inside with that jacket that doesn’t get washed, but sits in the smoked up house.
Do you wonder if they know how bad they stink?
Well, I guess I just told :bounce:

Ok, smokers, pile on stinky. I would rather sit by someone with a dump in their pants.
My "favorite" are the "hot boxers". The ones that know you don't allow smoking in your house or truck and will smoke right to (then open) the door and huff and puff it to the butt.. put it out.. then exhale as they come in. I find that a spray from a fire extinguisher or aerosol smoke eliminator to the face either ends that practice or the friendship on the spot.

Geffellz18

Never smoked, except a few cigars here and there in my late teens/early 20’s.
Doesn’t bother me too much though.
Neighbors across the street are type 1 I suppose. Have seen the wife pull in the drive, not even park in the garage and bolt out and run to the front porch and light one up. They also must not smoke in the house either cuz they are outside every 30 minutes or so it seems dragging one down!
My MIL is type two for sure. House smells like a chimney, smokes in the car, regardless of who’s with her. Her car, her rules type of thing! Even with my wife in the car with her which has asthma can’t handle being around it-She says she’s allergic to it. I guess that could be possible?
The MIL is a little more considerate when staying with us. She at least goes outside, but last winter she smoked in the garage because it got pretty cold and that kind of ticked me off a little, but I let it be as it was temporary.

specialk

Grew up on a tobacco farm, everybody used the vile weed, smoked, dip, or chew it was common place.....i dont do any now but it doesnt bother me....

Reactions: Dub

specialk

My late father(made it to 80yo) smoked heavy from teens to early 30s then quit cold turkey.....a few yrs later he absolutly could not stand cig smoke, made him sick to his stomach...

Mars

A cigarette being smoked is not a smell that I enjoy but it's much better than the smell of cigarette smoked clothes.

Lindseys Grandpa

I have never smoked but my parents were heavy smokers growing up . I don't mind being around somebody outside who's smoking but not in enclosed spaces.
After my heart surgery my Doctor told me is you in an enclosed space where someone is smoking the only difference is they have a filter and you don't .
There was a temp at my wife's work who smoked and back before they stopped smoking inside I could tell when my wife walked thru the door if she had worked with her that day .

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
My mother was a clean smoker, most people didn’t even know she smoked. We have one part time guy that smokes in his house along with the other people that live with him. He keeps a stale stinking cigarette smell on him. He’s doesn’t smoke inside our building or vehicles though.
I smoked for a year or 3 when I was a young man, kicked the habit pretty quick, oddly I still like the smell of a lit cigarette. My bride will not tolerate being around cigarette smoke, period.

flynlow

Student at the Hard Knock School of Aerodynamics
X smoker here...we're the worst at being hypocritical. Smoked from teens to early 30's. Smoked in the house, car, plane, wherever. Threw the butts out the winder too.

Now I can't stand the smell and criticize those for doing the same as I did and often have to catch myself reminding I used to do the same. I just smh and ask for forgiveness, tolerance, and patience and hope they can quit some day too.

leroy

Parents smoked, type 2, didnt realize till i moved out how bad it stank, put my foot down after i got married and wouldn't let them smoke in our cars or house. Both finally quit years later. Nasty nasty habit.

oldfella1962

My parents smoked in the house and car. Can’t stand it now. Never smoked except the occasional cigar. Do love some chaw.
No kidding about the parents! :LOL: Actually....pretty much every adult in any & all locations. Grocery store, restaurants, doctor's office, etcetera. This makes me wonder about "secondhand smoke" being a significant health risk. :unsure: Are the rates of smoking related illness higher among U.S. kids growing up in decades past any higher than in U.S. kids growing up today?
This is of course assuming an apples-to-apples approach using kids who never took up smoking themselves.

That said as a non-smoker I prefer not having smokers doing their thing anywhere & everywhere, whether it affects my health or not. I can't wrap my mind around how the practice caught on in the first place.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Many decades back the military assigned us a base house. The previous occupants were both chain smokers. The military had scrubbed and painted the entire house. The kitchen cabinets hard been freshly varnished and sealed. You could still smell the cigarette odor when you opened a kitchen cabinet. Luckily, our time there was short before we bought an off base house.

oldfella1962

Many decades back the military assigned us a base house. The previous occupants were both chain smokers. The military had scrubbed and painted the entire house. The kitchen cabinets hard been freshly varnished and sealed. You could still smell the cigarette odor when you opened a kitchen cabinet. Luckily, our time there was short before we bought an off base house.
I lived in base housing a few times in my career. Luckily that never happened to me & mine.

specialk

No kidding about the parents! :LOL: Actually....pretty much every adult in any & all locations. Grocery store, restaurants, doctor's office, etcetera. This makes me wonder about "secondhand smoke" being a significant health risk. :unsure: Are the rates of smoking related illness higher among U.S. kids growing up in decades past any higher than in U.S. kids growing up today?
This is of course assuming an apples-to-apples approach using kids who never took up smoking themselves.

That said as a non-smoker I prefer not having smokers doing their thing anywhere & everywhere, whether it affects my health or not. I can't wrap my mind around how the practice caught on in the first place.

i watch a lot of old game shows on BzzerTV and the stars on there smoked all the time....weird to watch it now.....on Perry Mason's desk there was a box of loose cigs...looked like a hundred or more....

Dub

Quit smoking 20+ years ago.

Never smoked indoors, but always did in my own vehicles.

There is nothing I miss about them….especially glad I don’t smell like a walking ashtray anymore.

Doesn’t bother me to see people smoking, but I prefer not to have to walk through the cloud they create just outside of doorways. Never understood why they can’t step a few feet away from the entrances to get their first/last puffs.

Redbow

I quit smoking in 1973, best thing I ever did for my health and others around me. No one and I mean no one comes to our house and smokes nor in our vehicles. My MIL was a big smoker her and my FIL used to drive down to SC when we lived there to see us. As soon as my MIL got to our home she lights up a cigarette and smokes several packs while she was there. My FIL did not smoke he would not let my MIL smoke in their house. I asked my Wife why her Mom would come to our house and smoke but no in her house the cigarette smell lingered in our house for days after they left for home.

The very next time they came my Wife met her Mom at the door and said, you cannot smoke in our house anymore, go outside if you have to smoke. My in laws never came back to SC to see us again, okay fine good riddance.