Nostalgia Meal

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Mama-fried backstrap, cooked in Mama's old kitchen, in one of Mama's old cast iron pans. Fried taters and cornbread, both also cooked in generational cast iron. This was mighty, mighty good and hit the spot just right after a long day of working our butts off on the house and yard.

backstrap.jpg

arlo5.jpg

pjciii

Mama-fried backstrap, cooked in Mama's old kitchen, in one of Mama's old cast iron pans. Fried taters and cornbread, both also cooked in generational cast iron. This was mighty, mighty good and hit the spot just right after a long day of working our butts off on the house and yard.

View attachment 1299778

View attachment 1299779
Dang, you done tuckered out Arlo from watching you work. He will probably want you to reheat his portion. I know it looks really good

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
This is awesome. We have ours but recently grabbed my dad's (my uncles before that and my mawmaws before that) but they are now in real bad shape. They somehow ended up in my dad's shed for the last several years of his life and are rusted something awful.

My son is going to do electrolysis on them but more because he likes that type of stuff. Good project for him and I dont have to fool with them until after.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This is awesome. We have ours but recently grabbed my dad's (my uncles before that and my mawmaws before that) but they are now in real bad shape. They somehow ended up in my dad's shed for the last several years of his life and are rusted something awful.

My son is going to do electrolysis on them but more because he likes that type of stuff. Good project for him and I dont have to fool with them until after.
Nothing like that old family cast iron. I have one that was my great-grandma's, my grandpa's, my mom's, and mine.

JDBrown

That looks purty good ya'll, No deer left around here, Ingles had boneless yardbird breasts on sale, so I grilled some up low and slow, Mrs. B threw some tater salad together, bolied some corn 20240414_183146.jpgand we opened a can of beans, didn't get any complaints from the rest of the clan, so I reckon it was liked.

JDBrown

As far as cast iron goes, we've got a mess of it here, some of my Mama's, my Granny's, and some I inherited from my uncle, that were probably my Granny's too. That don't include what we've added to it ourselves. I've even got a big skillet that an ex girlfriend left behind years before me and the Mrs met, it came from West Virginia, ain't no telling how old it is.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
That dog take your fingers slap off for a piece of deer meat. It's his favorite food, by far. Raw, cooked, whatever.
That stay cat that adopted us will scream for raw deer meat. She can smell it a mile away. Will not eat it cooked. I call it squirrel meat to her. I'm sure she lived off of squirrel for a while when she was a stray.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Great looking Eats!! I have my mom's cast iron pans! The are precious to me and are used by us often. I'm the cornbread maker in this household and Mom's big ole skillet is all I use. I'll pass it on to my daughter. She'll call it Pop's skillet. I never asked but I wouldn't be surprised to find out the skillet was passed down to my Mom.
IMG_20231230_161150282.jpgIMG_20231230_161229248_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Last edited: