Not a Good Opener!

frankwright

My friend usually has about six of us come and shoot at his far in The Rock! We will BBQ or something afterwards.
He puts a lot of time and money in his fields and does it legally. He will cut and burn some right before opening day.
We had been seeing good numbers on the field and power lines. Unfortunately because of a terminal ill family member we decided not to shoot and will do it later.
About Wednesday the birds disappeared. On opening day my friend said a neighbor off Rock Road must have had a shoot and it sounded like a Mississippi duck hunt. It was a non stop barrage of gun fire!
Not saying anybody did anything illegal but it was strange how the birds just quit coming to a pretty good field, with a few trees, power line and pond close by!

basstrkr

i ain't got a witness and I can't prove it but I see this happen somewhere every year.
Birds is like wemens, you just never know.

leroy

i ain't got a witness and I can't prove it but I see this happen somewhere every year.
Birds is like wemens, you just never know.

Yep, local farmer cut about 100 acres of milo middle of week pulled alot of our birds, tried to get landowner to let us shoot milo they declined. Fair shoot Saturday, surprisingly we had a barn burner this morning got limit in about an hour, little to nothing this afternoon.

across the river

That is not all that uncommon honestly, and it happens pretty often. The craziest I've seen was I had a buddy that had a big millet field quite a few year back. It was covered up the weekend before when went to look at it. Shot opening day and not many if any limited out, and there were over 50 of us hunting. I ended up with 7 or 8, and had to shoot pretty well to get that. There just weren't that many birds at all, especially compared to the weekend before. He had invited us to hunt Labor Day as well, so a bunch of us hunted that morning. I killed one bird, and it was one of only a few killed that morning. A few guys wanted to hunt that afternoon, but many said they couldn't (or wouldn't). You could tell my buddy was disappointed, but he wanted people to hunt that afternoon if they would. I agreed to come, not expecting much. I don't know how many people showed up that afternoon, but it wasn't a quarter of the number there opening day. I can honestly say I have never seen as many birds on a dove hunt in Georgia as I did that afternoon. Once they started coming in, they came as fast a you could load you gun, and at times in huge groups. Finished my limit pretty quick, as did any one who could halfway shoot. Had a buddy with us that could hit the broadside of a barn, but we kept feeding him boxes of shells until he finally limited out as well. It was unbelievable, and where those birds were that morning or Saturday I have no idea.

hambone76

Birds can be fickle for sure. Here one day, gone the next.
My buddy and I are waiting for our corn field to be cut so we can have a shoot on it. Judging by the overall #’s of birds we saw flying into the standing corn, it’ll be a great shoot.