Oil pan ??? Updated question!!!

hiawassee1

What could have caused this ?? 2013 F150 3.5 ecoboost. Is the whole motor ruined?

Attachments

• IMG_1862.png
    IMG_1862.png
    658.9 KB · Views: 121
Either something was in the road and he ran over it and it kicked up and put a hole in it or it slung a rod.. he defff would have heard and felt that. Whether he hit it or it slung a rod. The vehicle wouldn’t have went far without no oil.. you could drop the pan and see if there is any metal parts in it. If not maybe try putting a new oil pan and some oil in it and hope for the best. Either way oil pan has to come off to see what has occurred. If it slung a rod your in for a new motor or a junk yard swap out.

Big7

The Oracle
Looks like the material didn't get tempered properly. Fracturing clean like that tells me the material is hard.

Replace everything and run it with some new oil and see if it smokes.

If you are really concerned, take it to a shop and have the compression tested.

If it ain't smoking and/or knocking, it's probably OK.

Big7

The Oracle
Yeah- Look to see which direction the material was pushed.

If it was from the inside, it's a rod and you would know that right quick. Like @Gadestroyer74 said. I just saw his post.

If it was big rock or a piece of junk in the road, it would be pushed in towards the engine.

transfixer

If the motor was making noise prior to I'm assuming him coming to a stop because the engine went dead ? then I'd be willing to bet something internal gave way and came through the pan, that is what it appears happened , if so it should have been making some noises of some sort prior to that happening

DAVE

My guess would be one of these. Ran out of oil, over revved, ingested water resulting in broke piston rod.

hiawassee1

It’s all mangled inside!!

Is it worth just doing the bottom, a buddy suggested that. I’m not a mechanic!!!

The prices for a reman engine blocks are all over the map, I read or someone told me there really is only 3 companies that reman then distribute out.

You don’t want to band aide that. Best to yank the whole deal out and replace it. Metal shavings done went every where. Might have been valves messed up cam loves etc… You would cost your self more money in the long run having to go back and fix what you didn’t know was messed or damaged etc.. not to mention metal pieces may have gotten into the turbo and scared or messed it up. that is called catastrophic engine failure..

transfixer

It’s all mangled inside!!

Is it worth just doing the bottom, a buddy suggested that. I’m not a mechanic!!!

The prices for a reman engine blocks are all over the map, I read or someone told me there really is only 3 companies that reman then distribute out.

Those motors are already known for wearing out timing chains and guides, you don't want to try and fix that one ! You might try finding a low mileage engine out of a totaled/wrecked vehicle, if you decide to replace with reman I personally would want one from Ford parts, I don't trust any of the aftermarket reman companies, most of all not Jasper !

hiawassee1

So we bought a reman block, having Ford dealership install. They call and say that the old motor has cast parts and they need to order aluminum parts!!

Can that be the case???

hiawassee1

They called back Monday morning and said the old parts would work. I’m assuming like the timing chain covers and such. Seemed odd