Okay...now you gone and dunnit...

DannyW

Joros have suddenly exploded at my house. Walked outside this morning and immediately saw 5-6 webs that were not there a day or two before. Did a tour and saw about 20-30 more.

Then I saw this (sorry for the blurry picture):

IMG_5028 (002).jpg

In case you can't tell from that terrible picture, that's a green anole lizard caught in a Joro web. Don't know he simply got caught and died of exposure, or if the Joro killed him (It was a big Joro female.) I love my toads and lizards, so now I'm declaring war.

My questions are what type of spray kills them best? And some of the webs are 10-15' off the ground, so what's the best delivery mechanism?

I looked on the webs and most things said "repels Joro spiders" or call the Insect Control people. I could not find anything that specially said "kills Joro spiders on contact". I don't want to simply repel them, nor am I going to call anyone to come out to kill a spider. This has become personal, and I want to look them in the eye when I hit with a big dose of shock and awe.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I had to look up Joro so I'm not going to be any help.

But thanks, I learned something today.

Triple C

I carry around a can of wasp/hornet spray. Kills em dead as 400 immediately. Got about a billion of em now around here.

DannyW

This is what I use from home depot. It makes them run at 1st, but after a couple minutes they just curl up and die.

View attachment 1178240

This did it on the on the ones I could reach. Like you said, it makes them scatter when you spray them, and then after a few minutes they die. Added benefit noticed on my recheck this afternoon, the spray seems to disintegrate the web. Most of the webs are gone too.

I still have some webs so high the spray can't reach them. Going to try some extended range hornet/wasp spray like Mikes3028 and Triple C suggested. If that don't work I'm headed for Walmart to buy a water pistol to pour some BugStop in.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
. If that don't work I'm headed for Walmart to buy a water pistol to pour some BugStop in.
Make sure to check the range on those guns, then cut it to 1/3 at a 45* angle. No need buying one that won't reach as far as you need.

MOTS

Dawn dish soap works wonders, google the recipe. Might not kill the spider, but it should leave and prevent other infestation.

Cool Hand Luke

We infested up here in Hall Co. too. Kinda fun to hit em with hornet spray but a direct hit with normal bug spray will do the trick. I spray every day when I get home from work :mad:

hopper

The Home Defence kills em quick. I hate these things. You really gotta keep up with it. I walk around with a brush on pole to clean up the webs after spraying them.
The other day I jumped in my truck and a web rapped around my face. I left my window down about an inch?
Good idea about the water gun for the high ones.

Anvil Head

Salt gun will shred the buggars, almost like squirrel hunting. Once they get big as mentioned in OP, the eggs are laid and out there so they're coming right back by the thousands per hatch. Might as well have fun shooting them cause they are here to stay.

hipster dufus

I have an extendable pole duster i walk out of my garage with every am. Look like a clown swinging it in front of me. Use Wisdom tc and spray house n yard. Oh yeah , my duster is hot pink colored.

trial&error

Same thing I told my daughter to keep by the door. WASP spray for the kill. As far as prevention I'm told they do not absorb poison by just walking through it, they have to actually sit in it.

jeg

For the ones that are lower than 10ft, a small shrub rake, pull them down and smush them. For the higher ones I have an extendable paint pole that reaches up to 16ft, put a small push broom head on it, get them down and smoosh. Low tech, but effective and I've killed probably 500ish since I started seeing them in late summer. In a single day while they were smaller, I killed 34 out of a single camellia bush that is approximately 3.5 ft tall and 4ft round. Not finding as many up around the house and flower beds because of the effort, but still tons up in the trees. I know they are here to stay, but I despise the things and will kill everyone I can.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I noticed the other day that I had some set up housekeeping in my cook shack, I got rid of those. Then I noticed on the back deck and out at the humming bird feeder there was some. Never had them before this year, that I noticed anyway. I really didn't even know about them till I read this post.

hopper

I noticed the other day that I had some set up housekeeping in my cook shack, I got rid of those. Then I noticed on the back deck and out at the humming bird feeder there was some. Never had them before this year, that I noticed anyway. I really didn't even know about them till I read this post.
Man that sucks. I had a few a couple years ago, now they are hundreds per season.

DannyW

For the higher ones I have an extendable paint pole that reaches up to 16ft, put a small push broom head on it, get them down and smoosh. Low tech, but effective and I've killed probably 500ish since I started seeing them in late summer.

I have one of those poles to clean junk off my high windows. Never occurred to me that it could be used for that purpose...thanks.