Old credit card

Shadow11

I'm old and stupid now, but I was a lot younger and stupider 15 yrs ago. I racked up some credit card debt back then.

I finally got a bit ahead, so I called up American express a couple weeks ago, and I paid off the full balance. It was about 4,000.00.

I haven't made a purchase with that account in probably 14 years or more. I told the lady on the phone that I wanted to pay it off in full and cancel the account.

She said she could process the payment, which she did, but she said she couldn't close the account unless I have the card number. I haven't had a card in 12 yrs or more. I have no idea what the card number was. She said I'm sorry, but until I can provide the card number the account will remain active. I have no idea what it was.

I got a bill today for $14.10, saying it was interest charges on purchases. I attached a couple of photos. None of it makes sense to me.

What do I do now? I'm sure they will keep sending these bills.Screenshot_2023-07-27-21-34-04.pngScreenshot_2023-07-27-21-33-41.png

georgia_home

agree, the statement will have the number. If they’re able to look up your account on the phone, they’ll also have the number.

you shouldnt need a physical card… but if you do, have them send it..

they will say anything to keep you from closing an account! Lie cheat steal, but don’t close the account

ask for a supervisor, move up the chain, as many as it takes.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The item that you pictured clearly states that you must write the 15 digit account number on all payments. I suspect that number is located somewhere on the document you have pictured. If it is not call and ask them how you are to pay since you don't have the number and let them know that you are recording the call.

georgia_home

Amex has a yearly fee, when I got rid of my amex 10 years ago, the yearly renewal fee was $55, iirc. Leaving the card open AND unused AND paying $55/year vs closing it is pretty silly.

if you do leave the account open, at least make sure they’re not charging the yearly fee.

SarahFair

I know someone that had a similar issue.
Unbeknownst to him his wife had a card in his name and racked up a balance.
He paid it off and wanted to cancel it, they said they couldn't because he didn't have the number.

He hung up with them, called them back and said his wallet was stolen and needed to cancel the card and do not reissue a new one.

Said it worked

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
If she can process the payment, she can close the account.

You shouldn’t have any future interest if it’s paid off - I wouldn’t expect any bills.

I'm struggling with the concept you can't close an account without damaging your credit score.
Stupid if you ask me but it’s true ! Everything you do with your credit affects it. They pull it to buy stuff lowers it. Every time you do a loan it lowers it initially . Credit card debt and loans higher they get lower your score goes. Turn off a credit card hurts it. Seems like the credit rating itself is a rigged joke to me..

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Credit scores are weird and designed to measure people who use a lot of credit. If you don't use much of it you may be the absolute perfect credit risk but you will not have the perfect score. LOL

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I use that card for everything I buy and pay it off monthly. Mine accrues air miles which we use for vacations. The annual fee is small potatoes compared to 2x and 4x the value in air miles. That monthly payoff runs the credit score up. I don’t pay interest on the purchases as I never let it accrue.