Old Leupold Scope

Jdgreen

I have an old 2x7 Leupold given to me by my father in law. He purchased it in 1971. I got the scope and mounted it on a Marlin 22 bolt action. The windage would not adjust far enough to the right, so I sent it back to Leupold.

Got the scope back and set it back on the rifle with the same result, so I decided to try it on another 22. Now, on a different gun (ruger) the elevation won't adjust far enough, but windage was ok.

So, I called Leupold and they informed me that these older scopes only have 22 minutes of adjustment, as compared to the newer scopes that have over twice that.

I think I can work it out, but not sure what mounts I'll need to use to be able to put shims under them. Has anyone out there ever done this or better yet does anyone know a good gun smith that would do this for me?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I have scope mounts that the back base has a screw on each side. pretty much you tighten the screws down and squeeze the ring. you can get alot of windage adjustment with this. Infact a while back I was having what I thought was your same issue untile I realized I could loosen one side and tighten the other and it would move my scope. Here is a link to bass pro with the bases that I have. http://www.basspro.com/Leupold-Standard-(STD)-Mount-Bases/product/20060/81980

miles58

Banned yankee
The best way to compensate for your problem(s) is to mount it in Leupold windage adjustable bases and rings for the one gun or shim under the front or back base with friction paper.

If you go this route, center the adjustments first. Take a mirror and set the scope objective down on the mirror. Adjust the scope until you only see a single set of crosshairs.

You can then begin mounting. If it's a bolt gun, pull the bolt and looking through the bore align the bore and the scope on a target at least 50 yards out. When it's all tightened down you should still have plenty of adjustment in the scope to put it dead on.

Dave

chuckdog

You may spend more on a base/mount system than it's worth? If your Marlin isn't drilled and tapped, you can use the Millett brand Angle Lock mount system. They allow for windage adjustment on a grooved receiver. Just don't over do it, as it can stress your scope.

These mounts do work well. Their extra high rings were used by several friends with large target scopes on their rimfire rifles.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...table-rings-3-8-grooved-receiver-matte-medium

harryrichdawg

The Millett Angle Locs (grooved receiver) or the Leupold STD's (drilled and tapped receiver) should solve your problem on the Marlin. All of my grooved receivers have the MAL's. All of my drilled and tapped receivers have the STD's (or interchangeable brands).

Jdgreen

Thanks for the advice. I took the ruger to my local gun store this morning and they shimmed under the scope and bore sighted it. If this doesn't work they have a Leupold base and rings that is windage adjustable.

From what I understand, these old Leupolds reduce the vertical adjustment when the windage is too far to the right or left.

Jdgreen

A trip to the local gun shop paid off as the rifle is now sighted in at 30 yards.. We shimmed under the scope. (maybe not the best way, but it worked).

What is anyone else's opinion for the "perfect" distance to sight in a 22? I figure for shooting squirrels, the most is maybe 50 yards, but what is the effective range of a 22 (not magnum, only LR)?

harryrichdawg

A trip to the local gun shop paid off as the rifle is now sighted in at 30 yards.. We shimmed under the scope. (maybe not the best way, but it worked).

What is anyone else's opinion for the "perfect" distance to sight in a 22? I figure for shooting squirrels, the most is maybe 50 yards, but what is the effective range of a 22 (not magnum, only LR)?

I sight all my .22 LR's dead on at 25 yards. For squirrel hunting, 75 feet is a pretty long shot. I've killed them anywhere from 10 to 45 (ish) yards with dead on holds.