Old Rem 700 Trigger Replacement & Scope?

WishboneW

Cleans mine and bought a trigger spring, trigger return spring, and sear spring from Earnie the gunsmith. 2.5 lb pull no creep.

Keep the chamber empty until set in the stand, empty it before lowering it and always keep the muzzle in a safe direction.

Ain’t skeerd.

Darkhorse

I have been/still are, a trigger snob. FWIW I just need a good trigger to shoot my best.
In about 1973 I landed a job as an apprentice for a small tool. and die shop. That was the year I built my first trigger, fully adjustable for a Rem. 788 bolt rifle.
My old M700 seemed immune to the "big boom" affliction others were writing about. Then one day when checking some resized cases (unloaded) I observed the firing pin sliding forward. By luck I had avoided the "Big Boom". So I removed the trigger group and found it hard to adjust due to a poor finish that kept grabbing the springs. I reamed out the holes to a very fine finish and bought some new springs, did a thourough cleaning and that seemed to fix the problem for a few years before it got unsafe again.
Since I have no shortage of rifles the old 700 went back into the safe waiting on funds for a new trigger. Life is just to short to take chances with and now I no longer trust the old Walker trigger. So to take no chances with mine or anothers life a new trigger tech will soon replace the old Walker.
Even though I had gotten fond of that old trigger over the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub