Scope Recommendation

JR924

See earlier thread -Rifle and Factory Load for Elk. Shooting 50 to 300 yards for elk with 8x57 Sig Sauer Classic 100. Time to start practicing my shooting. Already bought Talley 1" Model 700-721-722-725-40X Extended (Low) Rings. Shooting either 196 grain at 2500 fps or 175 grain at 2700 fps; whatever is most accurate. Budget of scope is $350. Which scope below do you recommend as best value. All below are within budget. Don't want to pay anymore than what I need but want most bang for my buck.

1. Leupold VX-Freedom-VX CDS riflescope 3x9x40 mm (duplex -$299, Tri MOA - $349, ultimate slam - $299, Hunters Plex - $200).

2. Leupold VX-Freedom-VX riflescope (duplex) - looks like older non CDS model -$280

3. Burris Fullfield E1 3x9x40 mm riflescope (plex) - $199

4. Vortex DiamondBack 3x9x40 mm riflescope (Vplex -MOA) - $269

5. Vortex DiamondBack 3x9x40 mm riflescope (Dead Hold BDC -MOA) - $269

6. Others

I selected Leupold, Burris and Vortex due to their good warranty. I do want the Tally Low Rings to work as the stock does not have an adjustable comb so recommendation is to keep scope low as possible. The recticles are confusing. I want what is most practical for a hunter. I originally wanted a Leupold CDS scope but read CDS not that useful for ranges I am shooting plus too complicated when you get an chance at an animal to shoot. At $80 for each additional CDS turrent, sounds expensive too. I am open to a 4x12 but thinking 4x magnification too high for ranges I am shooting plus taxing budget. I do plan to go into a gun store with the rifle and rings installed to make sure the scope fits. I just want to get recommendations so I can make a short list of suitable scopes to buy. Don't want to be talked into a stocked item I have not researched. I have 2 Nikon scopes with good results but understand Nikon is no longer making scopes. Thank you in advance.

GregoryB.

I have only used the Leupold from those you have listed. I have multiple models of the Freedom line. They work great for me and don't break the bank.

buckpasser

I can’t say which is best, but I’ve enjoyed my Vortex scopes.

Nimrod71

I have switched from Leupold to Vortex and NightForce scopes. For your price point I would go with the Vortex. I have them on my 308 and 243. They have worked very well.

pacecars

Being a fixed power guy I would find a Leupold 6x42 or a newer 6x36 and be perfectly happy but to answer the specific question of those you mentioned I would go with the Burris

Bobby Bigtime

I have owned most of these brands and I would say they are all solid choices but I have never had a Burris scope that wasn't clear, tough, and consistent.

killerv

I have owned most of these brands and I would say they are all solid choices but I have never had a Burris scope that wasn't clear, tough, and consistent.

And ive seen multiple fulfields with broken reticles.

Vortex over an American made leupold.....whatever.

JR924

Tough choice. One option I am leaning to is increasing my budget and buying a discontinued Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm scope for $399.99. Stock is running low and other websites have the scope for $440+. Very sleek profile for my Tally low rings and good price and better glass than the Leupold Freedom. Note the rifle is made by JP Sauer, not Sig Sauer. JP Sauer answered the phone Blazer USA. Rep said majority of the cost for the rifle was put into the barrel. Said fiberglass bedding would not help the rifle much. Gave me unlimited time up to the 10 year warranty period to check accuracy vs warranty claim of 1 MOA. I have the hip replacement that will prevent me for some time to get to the range. Excellent customer service. Thanks for the responses. I learn a lot whenever I post. Next thread will be range report using my setup.

GunnSmokeer

I don't think a 4x -12x scope has too much magnification for close shots, like at 20 yards, if the eye relief is right, the rear (ocular) lens gives you a generous "eye box" that forgives imperfect head placement, and if the scope's bell up front doesn't physically block your periphreal vision with a huge black doughnut shaped ring around your target.

Buford_Dawg

I would go with Leupold, IMO the best scope in that price point. I am sure the others are excellent as well, I grew up on Leupold and they have never let me down.

JR924

Bought the Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm scope from Amazon but got the familar "we will email you the shipping date" and then listed the item out of stock. Never have got the item when that happened. Could only find the VX -3i on 2 obscure websites with one getting a bad BB rating plus a used one on ebay. Came across the Burris Signature HD 2x10-40 mm (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0888WSD3S?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp). Pros - liked the Ballistic E3 recticle better, wider range of zoom and slightly cheaper. Cons - probably not as good as glass and made in china. I held my nose on the china issue and bought it. Hope it fits my Tally low mounts but being laid up I cannot get to a gun store to make sure of fit. Thanks again for all the responding posts.

bullgator

I’m a Leupold fan, but I think Burris does a better job of making the budget scopes out of the ones you mentioned.
I‘m going to agree with lonewolf247, the Meopta is in your price range and may be the best deal of them all.

bullgator

Also, don’t be afraid to give the SIG scopes a looking at.

bighonkinjeep

Maybe a little late to reply but the Burris E1 3-9x50 is a really solid choice. The model 200331 comes with a standard plex reticle. I really like the low light performance the larger objective provides with an exit pupil rivaling (exceeding) that of the VX5 and the standard plex reticle is easier for me to pick up in low light than the E1 ballistic plex Christmas tree style. I currently have 3 of them with the X50 objective and have never had any issues with any of my Burris products. The last one I bought was a steal at $149 from sportsman's warehouse though they probably don't have anymore 200331s in stock. Good luck. ( Looks like there are several on Amazon well under $200. I'd call the seller directly as mine was $25 less through the retailer than through Amazon.

Last edited: