Changing and Adjusting Triggers for Rem 700

Nimrod71

I have a 22-250 that use to shoot like a laser until I loaned it to a cousin. I don't know what he did to the trigger but he changed the pull and I can't get the screw to back off to reset. Nothing to do but put in a new trigger. I haven't replaced a trigger in over 30 years, back then there were only a few after market triggers available, now its a different story. There are over a dozen I have found. Well I decided on a TriggerTech Special. After reading all I could find on them I decided I would put one in my 6 mm too. The job is not that hard, just about anyone can do it, except for my brother in law. As I tell my wife, she needs to pray for her sister. I started on the 6 mm first. All you have to do is knock out two pins but not out of the action, just out of the trigger assembly. The front one you punch to the right and the back one you punch to the left. Do not punch the back one out of the action for if you do the bolt stop and its spring will come out. Well, you guessed it, I knocked the back pen out and the pen and spring fell out on the floor. The pin being black was easy to see but the spring is not much thicker than beard hair so as thin as it was I couldn't see if from my chair so I had to get on my hands and knees to try to find it. My eyes are not as good as they have been so I had to feel for it as much as look. The Lord blessed me by letting me find it. So now I had to put the spring, stop leaver and pin back in its position. Here again, the Lord blessed me and I got it back in place. Placing the new trigger in and resetting the pins was easy. I replaced the bolt checked the pull, it was a crisp 2 lb., good enough for me. Now for the 22-250 no problem getting the action out of the stock, then the trouble started. I couldn't get the front pin out. I tapped and tapped but it only went about half way. I even got a bigger hammer, still no luck, it wouldn't move. I sat back an took a break, I had to think this thing through. Then I saw it, the firing pin release had slid down so the punch was not hitting the pin. i lifted the release and tapped the pin out and released the front of the trigger. Now for the back. I lined up the punch and trying not to punch the pin completely out I started lightly tapping the pin. Well it wouldn't move, I tapped harder and you guessed out went the pin and spring again. To make a long story short, I got it all back together. I checked the trigger weight and it to was a good crisp 2 lb. just right. Anyone need a trigger changed in a Rem 700? I'm available.

35 Whelen

Had a Timney Hunter Elite installed in my Remington 700 Classic 35 Whelen by a gunsmith here in Jasper. He also set the trigger pull at 3.5 lbs and took the bolt apart to eliminate a squeak that I could not find/fix. Did everything for $25.00, it was worth it to me!