Old Tobacco Barns: Update

fishingtiger

I grew up on the coast of SC and my family was heavily involved with both farming tobacco and the warehouse business. The tobacco business has pretty much died with the exception of a few large farmers but i have been on a mission to reclaim a lot of the wood from the old tobacco barns. Here are some pics from my trip home over Christmas. Currently working on an old packhouse that was built in the early 1900s. Prying out those old cut nails was not a lot of fun but the wood sure is going to look good when I build a cabin one day. Post any pics of old tobacco barns if you have em.

Attachments

• tobacco1.JPG
    tobacco1.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 2,614
  • tobacco2.JPG
    tobacco2.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 2,431
  • tobacco3.JPG
    tobacco3.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 2,435
Last edited:

Gary Mercer

That looks like the Low Country for sure!
Where is that old pack house, it sure looks like some I have seen?
Gary

Dr. Strangelove

I girl I used to date's family had several hundred acres in middle GA that had been farming land since time immemorial. They tore town the old sharecropper (slave) cabins and piled up the wood. Her dad bought a planer and used some of the wood for flooring in his home and her's as well. It's all beautiful heart pine and there is a bunch more still there.

Good on you for saving this wood, it's a shame to see it burn or just sit there and rot. We won't see this kind of wood again.

fishingtiger

here are some more pictures of old barns at the farm. Walking through these things takes me back 30 years when the whole town would smell like tobacco for 3 months every summer.

Attachments

• tobacco7.JPG
    tobacco7.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 2,359
  • tobacco6.JPG
    tobacco6.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 2,338
  • tobacco5.jpeg
    tobacco5.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 2,391

westcobbdog

I just took around 8 pine boards off an old barn to build my friend a bookcase, man the nails are basically in concrete and the wood hard as nails after all these years.

fishingtiger

I just took around 8 pine boards off an old barn to build my friend a bookcase, man the nails are basically in concrete and the wood hard as nails after all these years.

Yep. that sounds about right. It is amazing how hard this old wood is. You wouldnt be able to hammer a nail through some of it.

shakey gizzard

I grew up on the coast of SC and my family was heavily involved with both farming tobacco and the warehouse business. The tobacco business has pretty much died with the exception of a few large farmers but i have been on a mission to reclaim a lot of the wood from the old tobacco barns. Here are some pics from my trip home over Christmas. Currently working on an old packhouse that was built in the early 1900s. Prying out those old cut nails was not a lot of fun but the wood sure is going to look good when I build a cabin one day. Post any pics of old tobacco barns if you have em.

::ke:Your not throwing them nails away are you?:biggrin2:

jfish

Those type barns (wood fired) were used till like the late 40's. We had them too. Or my grandparents did, in the 60's my grandpa was the largest tobacco farmer in GA. Keep in mind this was early tobacco production but no one else did it. Powell manufacturing literally lived here in the late 60's to early 70's. Making adjustments to machinery. That was a fun time. In my lift time it was bulk barns. The stick barns were here but they didn't use them anymore. Those wood fired barns were special. Lots of them burnt. That wood will be fantastic planed and used on a wall. Have to tell you it will be hard! Those had brick fireplaces outside with flues that heated the inside of the barn. Sweat the tobacco first then start cooking it with more heat. It was work!

Gas firing was used after that till early 70. Then metal bulk barns came in. I need to have my butt whipped for all of the sticks I broke or burned. I would live to have them back now. There is a restaurant in adel that had some furniture built from them and I thought it was the coolest thing. Back to the wood, I wired a house sometime back that had similar wood in it for big $$$.

Good to see that stuff being used!!

fishingtiger

Update:
We were planning on takign the whole barn down over Thanksgiving but a noreaster off the S. Carolina coast brought way to much rain during the week to get the tractor in to the barn. So, we just gutted the inside and took out flooring and beams. Got some really nice wood out of this. Unfortunately, there is some beetle damage but that shouldnt be too much of a problem. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• Barn1.jpg
    Barn1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,324
  • barn2.jpg
    barn2.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,302
  • barn3.jpg
    barn3.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1,305
  • barn4.jpg
    barn4.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,293

caughtinarut

Those type barns (wood fired) were used till like the late 40's. We had them too. Or my grandparents did, in the 60's my grandpa was the largest tobacco farmer in GA. Keep in mind this was early tobacco production but no one else did it. Powell manufacturing literally lived here in the late 60's to early 70's. Making adjustments to machinery. That was a fun time. In my lift time it was bulk barns. The stick barns were here but they didn't use them anymore. Those wood fired barns were special. Lots of them burnt. That wood will be fantastic planed and used on a wall. Have to tell you it will be hard! Those had brick fireplaces outside with flues that heated the inside of the barn. Sweat the tobacco first then start cooking it with more heat. It was work!

Gas firing was used after that till early 70. Then metal bulk barns came in. I need to have my butt whipped for all of the sticks I broke or burned. I would live to have them back now. There is a restaurant in adel that had some furniture built from them and I thought it was the coolest thing. Back to the wood, I wired a house sometime back that had similar wood in it for big $$$.

Good to see that stuff being used!!

Catfish house