Opinions on midwest travel dates. What would you do?

rstallings1979

Lets say you have flexibility and have 9-10 days to choose with the following weather patterns...

Oct 27th-Nov 4th you have most days where temps get as low as high 20s low 30s for lows and highs are upper 40s and low to mid 50s.

Nov 2nd- Nov 12th. Half the time is mid 60s for highs and mid 40s for lows. Only two or three days of those dates get into the mid 50s for highs and low 30s.

What would you do?

TJay

That's a tough one. The cold temps are tempting, but it would still be pre rut. You would pretty much be in the rut on the next set of dates but the temps are bit warmer. The second set of dates hosts the new moon on the 13th. I think I'd go Nov 2nd thru Nov 12th. Those temps could change between now and then too.

Dbender

Weather isn't that critical. I'd go for the later date. I've been going for years killed them in a t-shirt and killed them bundled up like an Eskimo. Run the risk of more standing corn earlier you go, plus the prime time is in nov.

Dbender

Pull up a local processors face book page that posts photos and scroll for a min and the decision will be obvious

OffTheBeatnPath

I've seen a lot of deer on their feet on the front and backside of the typical rut window when the temps drop like that. Also have hit it good when they are rockin and rollin n that window and it's awesome to be n a tree..
If a front moves through and the temps drop drastically like that I would be tearing out n Oct.

That's a tough one. The cold temps are tempting, but it would still be pre rut. You would pretty much be in the rut on the next set of dates but the temps are bit warmer. The second set of dates hosts the new moon on the 13th. I think I'd go Nov 2nd thru Nov 12th. Those temps could change between now and then too.
This

Kris87

I'd need to know more. Are you bowhunting? What state and what kind of terrain? I can tell you I hate the full on peak of the rut as a bowhunter. I'd rather take the week before, or the two weeks after full on chasing. Its much more difficult IMO to kill a buck with a bow when he's chasing or locked down. I personally like Nov 10-20th a whole bunch. I think that is the best time for new bucks to show up and the bucks are looking for their 3rd, 4th, maybe 5th doe. They are on their feet the most in that time period.

Jim Boyd

I am going 28 Oct this year through about the 10th or 11th - and hoping for cool weather - so I would choose Option A.

I think what is equally important is how HARD you hunt and how well you stay on the stand.

I have seen some hunts get really blown because of rain, wind etc.

I have been guilty of same.

I have also accidentally pulled a rabbit from a hat a few times and mostly, it was dogged determination that got it done.

When my focus lags, the wheels fall off.

Best of luck to all!

livetohunt

I hunted West Central Illinois for years and around Nov 7th -11th always seemed slow with lock down. With the weather you mentioned I'd definitely go on the earlier dates.

Swamprat

Swamprat
If it is rut time who cares, 70% of my biggest bucks have been shot when it was 70 plus degrees out

Others have been mid morning around 50-55 degrees

January 3rd 2020 and about 74 degrees out, North Florida

Attachments

• IMG_0248.jpeg
    IMG_0248.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Swamprat

Swamprat
Keep in mind that those temps that far out are mostly predicted off of historical averages

Could be close or opposite extremes