Ordered New Hybrid Longbow Today

HIGH COUNTRY

I guess that I got the bug pretty bad, been shooting trad about nine months as I have shared with you guys before.

Started Black Hunter recurve at 35 lbs, went to 45 lbs - Ooops too much. Back to 40 lob limbs and eventually to a new 45 lb Bear Grizzly. Missed three this year, passed up way too many does and small bucks - Prob should have shot some for the experience.

Ordered a new custom hybrid longbow today, it goes under the brand Firefly and is made by a gentleman in Michigan by the name of Jim Jones.

I came across it by accident, just looking at different trad sites - Great reviews, eight week or so wait time, and at a very good price point.

Excited - Had to think about spending money when the Bear is just fine, but not getting any younger...

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
New bow!! Don’t rub the finish off rubbing on it!! :banana:

jbogg

Congrats on your new bow. I haven’t been at it much longer than you, but I’m hooked as well. I try to shoot a dozen arrows every day. It doesn’t take a long shooting session to stay proficient, and I’m conscious of not overdoing it due to old shoulder issues.

I made my first “nice bow” purchase after 8 or 9 months as well. I went the ILF route to allow me to try different combinations without spending a fortune. I settled on some Uucka S curve limbs set at 42lbs at 30” draw. Super happy with them.

psedna

UAEC
Ha You guys are right. I came across the brand and the bowyer, he basically sells through other third parties rather than deal with business side of it. Took a while to track him or the current company that sells the bow. Few reviews that I found were very very positive. There are three of his bows now for sale on Lost Nation Archery which is also located in Michigan as he is. Apparentlyhe has been building bows a long long time...

splatek

UAEC
I’ve just dialed in a pair of 1970s bears and I’m loving them. Still hoping to slay a critter with the stone point, but until then I’m feeling pretty good with the bear grizzly at 51 at my draw.

I’m with @jbogg - a few arrows a day keeps things reasonably proficient. And off you have a solid shot process you can take some time off and it comes back pretty quick.

I’m not sure I’ll ever drop the $dough$ on a custom bow, hard to justify with a gaggle of little ones running around

psedna

UAEC
FYI - This guy is retired and probably doesnt build a lot of them, but about half or less compared to some custom bows. The other one I looked at is Omega bows, they are also reasonably priced but something about the reviews for the Firefly caught my attention. Just a couple of hundred more than a production bow like Bear...