Question - Recurve Bow Poundage

HIGH COUNTRY

Here is the question - Been shooting for eight months.

Started 35 lb black hunter entry level bow, worked up to 45 lbs and I shoot a Bear Grizzly.

I can shoot quite a few arrows through it at a time, no difficulty pulling back.

I am late sixties, am I crazy for trying to work up to 55 lb two inch longer hybrid bow. Decent shape, I do have some rotator cuff history.

Or should I buy a cheap 50 lb hybrid and work on that for a while and see how it goes.

Can I expect two inch longer hybrid to be more accurate or just smoother with less finger pinch? Thinking about getting a custom from Omega bows before too long, only custom at a moderate price point and the reviews are really good.

THANKS

F.A.R.R.

I’m guessing you’ll get different responses based on what folks opinions are.

For what it’s worth my opinion is 45 lbs is plenty to kill GA white tails at close stickbow ranges. If that poundage isn’t bothering your shoulder stay with it.

I feel like longer bows are a more forgiving of less than perfect form and release- but not necessarily more accurate.

And it’s always fun to get and shoot a new bow so why not try a long hybrid in 45 lbs? I think most hybrids are a good bit more than 2” longer than a Grizzly aren’t they ?

Had you thought about a 64” Omega ?

Last edited:

Dennis

I’m guessing you’ll get different responses based on what folks opinions are.

For what it’s worth my opinion is 45 lbs is plenty to kill GA white tails at close stickbow ranges. If that poundage isn’t bothering your shoulder stay with it.

I feel like longer bows are a more forgiving of less than perfect form and release- but not necessarily more accurate.

And it’s always fun to get and shoot a new bow so why not try a long hybrid in 45 lbs? I think most hybrids are a good bit more than 2” longer than a Grizzly aren’t they ?

Had you thought about a 64” Omega ?
Good advice

earlthegoat2

Stick with 45.

I am young and strong and stopped at 50.

Of course I experimented with more poundage but ended up with 50.

HIGH COUNTRY

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth! The Grizzly is 58 inches, may order a custom Omega at sixty inches and 45 lbs. The wait is only a few months and priced reasonably, and reviews are very good. Funny but after shooting about nine months now, and about five with the Grizzly, it starting to feel natural. At close range say ten yards and under, I can almost bust arrows. Groupings at fifteen steps is tightening up too. I want to start working on 18 steps (fifteen yards) to twenty and twenty five yards just to work on form and shorter range confidence, think I am at the stat stage to at least begin working some on it. I have really stayed close so far. For everybody that said it was a journey, my goodness you were right!!! ps I am still having a ball shooting it, but I wont say I will not hunt with a compound again esp during sw ga rut/not really fun to shoot but a much more effective weapon for me for big bucks..., I had about a 140 class sneak behind me this year, and he stopped at under forty and looked back at me.

F.A.R.R.

Is there a particular reason your set on a 60” bow ? Just curious.

I have a 58” bow and don’t notice much different between it and a 60”. Do notice a difference between those and my 64” or 68” bows- to me they are smoother and seem more forgiving of mistakes .

If you had a chance to go to a traditional shoot and try some different length bows out before you order your new one that would be nice cause your likely to find the right mix of what your looking for out of it.

Last edited:

HIGH COUNTRY

The black hunter recurve my first bow last year was 60 inch, I found shooting the 58 inch recurve was a little harder it seemed. I have about decided to stick with the Bear Grizzly for another year, it seems like I am finally settling in to a new level of comfort and accuracy - Want to see if the learning and improvement curve continues as I have only been shooting about nine months I think. You guys convinced me to stay at 45 lbs too with my history of rotator cuff issues and considering at this point, I dont need to risk injury and need to be able to shoot a lot of arrows if I want to. There are some pretty customs out there though that are awfully tempting. yes I want to visit and shoot in trad tournament, any coming up in south or middle ga? Thanks everyone, you guys have been very helpful. I ordered a red lens headlamp and a hog motion activated light yesterday, going to give it a try with recurve but may pick up the rifle for those nasty things...

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
With today’s technology and available materials , a 45# custom bow will blow away 60# bows of the past. String materials have advanced so much that poundage is not as important as it used to be.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
With today’s technology and available materials , a 45# custom bow will blow away 60# bows of the past. String materials have advanced so much that poundage is not as important as it used to be.
Arrow placement is the key!!!!!!!