Ozone machines... opinions?

TomC

This deer hunting is getting complicated. Didn't have a deer blow at me once this fall, a first and saw more than I have ever seen. My spray bottle concoction of distilled water, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide seems to do fine........that and sitting still.

shdw633

This deer hunting is getting complicated. Didn't have a deer blow at me once this fall, a first and saw more than I have ever seen. My spray bottle concoction of distilled water, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide seems to do fine........that and sitting still.

I use a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide, water and food coloring to find blood after the shot. Just have to remember to mark the last blood found because the hydrogen peroxide takes it away.

madsam

I'm waiting for a portable window unit A/C for my stand. Deer are use to smelling
humans no matter how hard we try. I play the wind and keep it simple. I find
that much enjoyable like my freezer full of meat.
To each his own.

You asked for an op on Ozone machines. I have used them numerous times in
houses and had to wait for days for them to do their job. These are commercial
machines. I find it a farce that small little machine could clean enough ozone around
a hunter to cover his scent.
Ozone machines for the house. Be careful running these in a house that is occupied.
The ozoned air is not healthy for a extended period of time.

Long Cut

I hunted the wind and thermals for years by using milkweed to determine the wind direction, speed, swirl, and thermal pull.

After 6-7 years I noticed that I was being busted by deer more often than not. Especially on days when wind speed was below 12-15MPH, after the thermals began to rise or if I hunted any creek bottoms and gulleys.

So I bought a used Ozonics HR200 machine for cheap to experiment. Hunted over a feeder one September afternoon. Wind direction, thermal rise and stand access were “perfect”. Milkweed determined that the wind gusts would swirl my scent 360 degrees around the feeder.

I hunted for 5 hours. 3 hours with the unit on, 2 hours with the unit off.
Of the 22 deer I saw that evening, only 1 actually busted me. She ended up coming back in the investigate and I shot her at 7 yards.

When the wind swirled while running the Ozonics unit, the deer would catch my scent and look around. They would be uneasy for 15-30 seconds and then go back to feeding.

When the Ozonics was off, they would be eating, wind swirl and they would all take off running and blowing.

I know you cannot beat a deers nose, but Ozone and Smoke WILL fool a deers nose. I’ve seen it enough times first hand you can’t tell me otherwise.

Take my lengthy post as you wish. Don’t get paid by Ozonics nor am I a “pro staffer”. Just a dude that loves to bowhunt and that has actually tried the products mentioned.

mtclev5651

I hunted the wind and thermals for years by using milkweed to determine the wind direction, speed, swirl, and thermal pull.

After 6-7 years I noticed that I was being busted by deer more often than not. Especially on days when wind speed was below 12-15MPH, after the thermals began to rise or if I hunted any creek bottoms and gulleys.

So I bought a used Ozonics HR200 machine for cheap to experiment. Hunted over a feeder one September afternoon. Wind direction, thermal rise and stand access were “perfect”. Milkweed determined that the wind gusts would swirl my scent 360 degrees around the feeder.

I hunted for 5 hours. 3 hours with the unit on, 2 hours with the unit off.
Of the 22 deer I saw that evening, only 1 actually busted me. She ended up coming back in the investigate and I shot her at 7 yards.

When the wind swirled while running the Ozonics unit, the deer would catch my scent and look around. They would be uneasy for 15-30 seconds and then go back to feeding.

When the Ozonics was off, they would be eating, wind swirl and they would all take off running and blowing.

I know you cannot beat a deers nose, but Ozone and Smoke WILL fool a deers nose. I’ve seen it enough times first hand you can’t tell me otherwise.

Take my lengthy post as you wish. Don’t get paid by Ozonics nor am I a “pro staffer”. Just a dude that loves to bowhunt and that has actually tried the products mentioned.
Thank you!

CaptKeith

I’m interested, but I admit I am concerned about the cost, particularly if th need updating every year or so. Are there any other alternatives out there? I mean technology specific, not treating clothes, hun the wind, etc. I already do that.

shdw633

I’m interested, but I admit I am concerned about the cost, particularly if th need updating every year or so. Are there any other alternatives out there? I mean technology specific, not treating clothes, hun the wind, etc. I already do that.

If I had to go with one it would be a full size ozone generator that you would put in a closet or enclosed area with your cloths and ozone them before you go out in the woods, that to me is the must have. It's about $50 on ebay and you may find that's all you need, after that if you still want one for the woods then go with a Scentlok Radial...not the Nano, you can get them for around $100 right now on Ebay. If you want to go beyond that with ozone you are going to spend some bucks on Ozonics, but you can buy a used one like I did for a lot let money, they can be "recharged" so to speak by changing out the element it them for around $80, but the battery is expensive and you will want a couple of them.

Long Cut

Ozone is heavier than regular oxygen and nitrogen. So the particles fall straight down when they leave the machine. Take this into consideration when building and placing the unit during hunts.

You can DIY a machine, but you want the machine placed above you or where your scent will blow to adequately cover your scent. This is where Ozonics shine, you can adjust the angle & direction of the unit very easily.

Think I paid around $120 for my used Ozonics HR200 unit. Ain’t cheap but I didn’t have to fiddle with anything and if I didn’t like it, easy to recoup my expenses.

CaptKeith

Ozone is heavier than regular oxygen and nitrogen. So the particles fall straight down when they leave the machine. Take this into consideration when building and placing the unit during hunts.

You can DIY a machine, but you want the machine placed above you or where your scent will blow to adequately cover your scent. This is where Ozonics shine, you can adjust the angle & direction of the unit very easily.

Think I paid around $120 for my used Ozonics HR200 unit. Ain’t cheap but I didn’t have to fiddle with anything and if I didn’t like it, easy to recoup my expenses.
If I had to go with one it would be a full size ozone generator that you would put in a closet or enclosed area with your cloths and ozone them before you go out in the woods, that to me is the must have. It's about $50 on ebay and you may find that's all you need, after that if you still want one for the woods then go with a Scentlok Radial...not the Nano, you can get them for around $100 right now on Ebay. If you want to go beyond that with ozone you are going to spend some bucks on Ozonics, but you can buy a used one like I did for a lot let money, they can be "recharged" so to speak by changing out the element it them for around $80, but the battery is expensive and you will want a couple of them.

Shdw and Long Cut, great info. I’m curious both of you got used units. Did you find them from other hunters or online? BTW, I have a ScentCrusher bag system, and I use it, so I’m only referring to in-the-field units. Frankly, I did not get busted once this year, even with deer very close to me, but I’m curious about the field units. I understand Ozonics has the patent for field units, just wanted to see what others have experienced and come up with.

shdw633

Shdw and Long Cut, great info. I’m curious both of you got used units. Did you find them from other hunters or online? BTW, I have a ScentCrusher bag system, and I use it, so I’m only referring to in-the-field units. Frankly, I did not get busted once this year, even with deer very close to me, but I’m curious about the field units. I understand Ozonics has the patent for field units, just wanted to see what others have experienced and come up with.

I got mine used off Ebay and that's where I get the replacement coils for them as well. I have found that I am using my Scentlok Radial 400B more and more when I go out to the field as it is easier to pack along and seems to be doing the job as good as my Ozonics was and I can recharge it with a portable phone battery charger if it starts running low, though I have not had that happen yet.

CaptKeith

I got mine used off Ebay and that's where I get the replacement coils for them as well. I have found that I am using my Scentlok Radial 400B more and more when I go out to the field as it is easier to pack along and seems to be doing the job as good as my Ozonics was and I can recharge it with a portable phone battery charger if it starts running low, though I have not had that happen yet.
Thanks!