Pa. Rattlers

oldfella1962

They've had an Elk season up here for awhile. Lottery.
Oh I see. Great to see elk are being introduced to their former areas - or even new areas if this is the case.

Resica

Oh I see. Great to see elk are being introduced to their former areas - or even new areas if this is the case.
We've had them for over a 100 years I believe. Just never started to grow until the last 10 or 20 years. They shoot some trophy Bulls here.

Resica

We still have them, but not nothing like we used too.

I believe coyotes are putting a hurting on small mammals like cipmunks, mice, etc.

We still have copperheads too, just not like it used to be
Never seen a copperhead in Pa. They are here though!

Resica

One of my buddies texted me. He has herpetologist for a patient. They said they thought the 2nd rattler was a pregnant female. She sure was ornery. the 1st one was too. That's right, they all are:)

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
They are more sneaky than rattlers. Last I heard of one killed was about 4 years ago, was duck hunting October 1st, we got to the spot early, had a buddy, his son and my cousins son. A buddy went above us to hunt a beaver pond, went to tie the boat off and there were two right on the log he was going to tie off on the dam. He got one with the oar, needless to say they were pretty worthless at duck hunting that day.

Madsnooker

We have a hibernarium(?) down the steep hill behind our camp on our property. Huge rock down there. I've seen a bunch of little ones and several big ones down there at the same time!! Love seeing the elk, my total is climbing. We are in Centre County, north of Happy Valley. There are more west of camp in Elk( :) ) County and a couple of other counties .
He hunted the west side of Elk County. It's been about 10 yrs since he quit going there. He only went during early bow season becuase it was so pretty hunting that country. Once the rut got close in OH that's were he hunted and where I always hunted with him when I went up. I did go over to his camp in PA one summer to help him do some work and just see the place and it was beautiful. Saw bear and elk while I was there. No rattlers though. Lol

turkeykirk

We have a lot of them here in Georgia. Found this one dead in the road. Couldn’t see where it had been ran over. At first, thought it was playing possum. :rofl:
Going to make a hat band.C379323A-0AB3-4E41-B3D8-48CB863C5ADF.jpeg

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
@Resica and @WOODIE13 , how big do those timbers get up there? Biggest canebrake I ever caught down here was a little over 5 feet. The biggest I`ve heard of is a 6 footer.

Resica

He hunted the west side of Elk County. It's been about 10 yrs since he quit going there. He only went during early bow season becuase it was so pretty hunting that country. Once the rut got close in OH that's were he hunted and where I always hunted with him when I went up. I did go over to his camp in PA one summer to help him do some work and just see the place and it was beautiful. Saw bear and elk while I was there. No rattlers though. Lol
I love those mts. in Pa. but I certainly understand the big bucks in Ohio too!

Resica

@Resica and @WOODIE13 , how big do those timbers get up there? Biggest canebrake I ever caught down here was a little over 5 feet. The biggest I`ve heard of is a 6 footer.
36-60 inches on average for adults I read. Before we bought the lot and built, our neighbor said he grabbed a 62 incher and brought it up to one of those rattlesnake roundups they have in northern Pa. He didn't win but he said he brought it back.

Resica

We have a lot of them here in Georgia. Found this one dead in the road. Couldn’t see where it had been ran over. At first, thought it was playing possum. :rofl:
Going to make a hat band.View attachment 1230252
I believe we have a lot of them here too. Venomous snakes here are the Timber, Massasauga Rattler and the Copperhead. No Cottonmouths. They have Timbers as far north as New Hampshire.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Biggest I've seen is around 5.5 ft, but have seen pics of some that are well over 7, how accurate they are, I can't say, most of them claim to be killed by loggers or strip miners

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great pics of the elk. I didn’t realize rattlers were that far north. Copper heads and moccasins yes.
Here in the western NC mountains, timber rattlers, along with garter snakes, are pretty much the only two species that you'll find above 6,000' in the Canadian spruce-fir zone. Copperheads disappear at about 3500'. No moccasins at all at any elevation.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've never seen one here over about 5', but my mom has an old pic of her dad holding up a big yellow timber rattler that his mom killed with a hoe. He was 6' 2", and he's holding its tail up over his head, and its head is on the ground. Looks as big around as his arm.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
We still have them, but not nothing like we used too.

I believe coyotes are putting a hurting on small mammals like cipmunks, mice, etc.

We still have copperheads too, just not like it used to be
We've seen the opposite where I live but the same result across the board as far as less snakes. What we have seen is a 1000% increase in chipmunks AND predatory birds. Was an interesting spring with mating owls waking you up at all hours of the night....and I loved it.

Mother nature covers