Paddle vs. Pedal Kayak

Scott6142

I am thinking of purchasing a kayak for fishing to be used mostly in the Okefenokee, SE GA rivers (Satilla), tidal creeks and ponds. What are the different opinons on each. I am trying to decide on pedals or paddle only. Thanks

I have used both and I think for my application (mostly inshore fishing) a Pedal would be best. However the biggest con of a pedal kayak (or motor driven) is generally they are heavier. Most of the time easily 100+ lbs. It makes putting in with no boat ramp very challenging. Right now it have a shearwater with a Bixpy and a crescent paddle kayak. That way I can cover both situations. I really enjoy the shearwater but there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of a good ole paddle kayak. Just my opinion.

weagle

My solution is to drop a lightweight trolling motor in the slot where the pedals are supposed to be, I use a lightweight (7.5 lb) lithium batter and the 24lb thrust SeaSnake motor weighs 6lbs. The pedal drive weighs 8.5 lbs so the motor / batter setup only adds 5 lbs. I've never run the batter dead in a long 8+ hr day fishing and you get instant reverse + the motor takes up much less space than the pedals sticking up.

My kayak is a Pelican Catch 110. It only weighs 67lbs and I can carry it with one hand. Very easy to launch or pull up steep river banks. They make 130 that has more weight capacity in case you plan to take a bunch of camping gear, but I'm 6'2" 230 and it handles me and my fishing gear fine.

My homemade trolling motor mount would fit in any Hobie style pedal mount.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rabun

That is quite the rig you built there weagle! Is it common to put a TM in the pedal location or did you come up w that idea and mount?

weagle

That is quite the rig you built there weagle! Is it common to put a TM in the pedal location or did you come up w that idea and mount?
It's not my idea, but the design of the mount is. Really cheap; probably $10 bucks. It's just a piece of cutting board, a couple of bolts and piece of the mount that comes with the motor. Drops right in and locks in place. It will run very shallow and if it hits bottom you just pop it right up and use the paddle. I use it to cover water on the bigger electric only lakes like Hollis Latham and also to go up stream on the hooch. Once I'm in my fishing area I use the paddle. The pedal drive Kayaks are cool, but way overpriced for what they are. For instance Pelican sells the Catch 100 for $600 and Catch 110 HD for $1500. OTOH The electric WaterSnake costs $130 and the lightweight lithium batter cost $120 and is a much better solution unless you just enjoy pedaling to cover water.
CcoXwCS.jpg
Oisyead.jpg

Rabun

I’ll have to tell my buddy about your solution. He has a pedal yak(not sure of the make but it’s a prop type…and it weighs a ton) and he’s been wanting to add a TM. You’ve got an excellent system there. Ever take it to the coast?

weagle

I’ll have to tell my buddy about your solution. He has a pedal yak(not sure of the make but it’s a prop type…and it weighs a ton) and he’s been wanting to add a TM. You’ve got an excellent system there. Ever take it to the coast?
I've never taken it to the coast. I love the light weight and relatively compact size of my Pelican 110HD, but coastal fishing would make me nervous and I think I would opt for a bigger, more substantial Kayak.

Phantoms

I see the OP didn't stick around but would just like to comment on the topic for others as I've paddle fished forever and in any wind or current it's always aggravating. Trying to finagle the pole and paddle at the same time is miserable as the kayak is always moving off of where you want it.

Pedal or power is where it's at. You can pedal and still handle your fishing pole with no problem. Power is even better.

JR924

I plan to fish the same type of areas you are talking about. I have a 2 seat M12 creek boat but difficult for me to load and unload alone although I can get it done . The single seat M10 is only 50 lbs plus the weight of battery and motor. The M11 which would be my pick for a single guy weighs 70 lbs. They really scoot with the provided trolling package. However one thing about a paddled kayak is it can handle rougher water than a creek boat.