Pawn Shop ML

tullisfireball

I gave my son my ML last year for his birthday, and have been looking for me another one. A friend of mine owns a pawn shop and has a T/C cap lock.
What do I need to look for to determine if it is in good shape. He said I could run some caps through it if I wanted to.

frankwright

The most important thing is the bore. Drop a bore light or any skinny light down the bore and you will be able to see if there is any serious pitting.

Other than that just general condition, rust, pitting, etc. Will the hammer cock and fire with the trigger etc.
Other than a bad bore, most other things can be easily fixed.

Good Luck!

THREEJAYS

The most important thing is the bore. Drop a bore light or any skinny light down the bore and you will be able to see if there is any serious pitting.

Other than that just general condition, rust, pitting, etc. Will the hammer cock and fire with the trigger etc.
Other than a bad bore, most other things can be easily fixed.

Good Luck!

Fully agree,the only thing I would add is I would also want to unscrew the nipple and make sure threads are good.

tullisfireball

When I go back to look at it again, I am going to take my cleaning box so I can check all that I can. I told him I was going to wait until his rent was due so he would be more willing to deal! :biggrin3:

SASS249

One other thing make sure it is not loaded!!! Too often muzzleloaders get put up loaded and people forget.

tullisfireball

I've already dropped the ram rod down the barrel to see if any rust came out, so I know it's empty. That would be a big bang for your buck though :banginghe