Pear trees that stopped bearing fruit. Anyone know why this would happen??

Stickers

I have some property that I hunt that have two pear trees side by side. They are very tall I’d say 50’ or more. They were always full of pears every year until about 10 to 12 years ago and have not produced since then. They are in a mostly hardwood with a few pine mix bottom about 60’ from s creek. They look healthy just like they always have but do not flower or bear fruit anymore. I don’t know of anything that has changed since I’ve owned the property for the last 20 years. Anyone have an ideal why or what I can do to figure it out?
Man the deer loved them !!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea? Are they in heavier shade now? Late frosts the last few years? Have they been pruned? The one thing that will really kill fruit production is being shaded out.

Stickers

I have no idea? Are they in heavier shade now? Late frosts the last few years? Have they been pruned? The one thing that will really kill fruit production is being shaded out.

They are located in the middle of woods mostly oaks between a field and a creek. I would say they get same sun as always have. Most of the oaks and other trees right around them are about the same height but I’m sure some are taller. I could cut a few trees around them I guess??

Stickers

Most of what I have read say usually 30’ tall but I know these are at least 50’

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Google UGA Extension pear tree for general information

Last Minute

I've heard you can beat the trunk of fruit trees with a 2x4 and they'll start bearing fruit again. Apparently beating the trunk causes the tree to release traumatin which stimulates new growth and flower buds...

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Prune

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I've heard you can beat the trunk of fruit trees with a 2x4 and they'll start bearing fruit again. Apparently beating the trunk causes the tree to release traumatin which stimulates new growth and flower buds...

That works for pecan trees and okra. :)

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
What time of yr do you beat them?

Turpentine

Now this one I'm not sure about at all but I think I read somewhere that once they reach full maturity they stop producing fruit.