Persimmon Ripening Time

CornStalker

I found a group of persimmons in the mountains (North Georgia) that were absolutely loaded two weeks ago. They were just beginning to drop and the deer were cleaning them up. What's the latest you guys have seen persimmons still dropping and being eaten by critters (deer) in that area?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I found a group of persimmons in the mountains (North Georgia) that were absolutely loaded two weeks ago. They were just beginning to drop and the deer were cleaning them up. What's the latest you guys have seen persimmons still dropping and being eaten by critters (deer) in that area?
At least mid November.

chrislibby88

Doesn’t seem like they really start dropping until October, at least was the case with the few trees I’ve ever found in N Ga.

Back home in middle GA they will drop at different times. Full sun trees in fields and field edges seem to ripen and drop mid Sept. Some of the swamp trees don’t drop until late Sept or early Oct, and some keep on dropping into November. Most are played out by mid-late Oct though.

I would guess elevation will have some role to play on the mountains.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Great for deer and other critters. Bears need hard mast right now though. I'm sure they'd plow through them if they came across them but they lack the fat and carbohydrates needed and wanted. I know nothing. Just my thoughts.

CornStalker

Thanks for the responses! I've had similar experiences in Alabama and other parts of Georgia. Crossing my fingers that the grove I found is still dropping next weekend when I return. The deer tracks were like cattle...

Redbeardless

We have several large persimmon trees along the edge of the pasture on the property that I hunt here in north GA. Every year they are loaded, and this year is no exception. They are just starting to drop. Last year, there was still some fruit all the way into December. A lot depends on the weather. Storms and wind will clean your trees pretty quickly. If your trees are loaded, you will probably see fruit most, if not all the way through November. By the way, don't try eating any yourself until after the first good killing frost unless you want your mouth turned inside out!!! At least that's what we called it when we were kids. Good luck!!!

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It varies from tree to tree, too.

Big7

The Oracle
We have several large persimmon trees along the edge of the pasture on the property that I hunt here in north GA. Every year they are loaded, and this year is no exception. They are just starting to drop. Last year, there was still some fruit all the way into December. A lot depends on the weather. Storms and wind will clean your trees pretty quickly. If your trees are loaded, you will probably see fruit most, if not all the way through November. By the way, don't try eating any yourself until after the first good killing frost unless you want your mouth turned inside out!!! At least that's what we called it when we were kids. Good luck!!!
It varies from tree to tree, too.
So... A question for the experts.

I found a group of 3 large trees in one place in a NF and four decent sized with a few small trees in a different place on a WMA.

Haven't no where near scouted all over either place.

For the 2 groups of trees I have found so far, when will they put out and start dropping fruit?

The latitude(s) of all the individual spot fall between 33.5 to 33.8.

Thanks in advance for the help.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So... A question for the experts.

I found a group of 3 large trees in one place in a NF and four decent sized with a few small trees in a different place on a WMA.

Haven't no where near scouted all over either place.

For the 2 groups of trees I have found so far, when will they put out and start dropping fruit?

The latitude(s) of all the individual spot fall between 33.5 to 33.8.

Thanks in advance for the help.
That’s hard to say. Too many variables. On my same piece of land, I had some that were already bare two weeks ago and some that hadn’t started dropping at all yet.

chrislibby88

Stick a camera on them and see when the critters tear them up.

Nobody can predict when they drop. I have trees in my county that drop at different times, full sun trees in fields ripen and drop in late august/early Sept and are usually played out by bow season, other trees in sloughs miles away don’t drop good until late Oct. Same latitude, and maybe only 30-40 ft difference in elevation.