Petrov putting the freeze on climate change?

oldfella1962

Turns out the planet might be entering another ice age! :oops: I won't include the link (language in the comments? I'm unsure about the GON you tube video rules, so I'm playing it safe). But you tube "Petrov methane levels ice age" and it should get you there. Strong accent, which could throw some folks. But very interesting science!

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Ice Ages always follow a period of global warming. facepalm:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

oldfella1962

Ice Ages always follow a period of global warming. facepalm:
So- do we have to wait for the catastrophic warming to get worse and throw civilization into chaos, or can we jump right to the catastrophic ice age? :unsure:
I don't see how we can have both at the same time.

oldfella1962

And unless I`m mistaken, there were 5 major ice ages with the last one ending around 10,000 years ago.
You are correct! But the latest ice age ended prior to humanity developing large scale agriculture, which led to "civilization" and large stationary cities. When everybody was a hunter-gatherer (or had limited agriculture) the tribe could pack and leave for greener pastures very easily. Theoretically humanity
has the ability to adapt and overcome any large-scale climate change. :)
Theoretically we know how to use turn-signals too. :( It would be great to come back from the dead every 10,000 years or so just to see how humanity deals with climate change, massive earthquakes, the Yellowstone caldera exploding, nuclear war, etcetera.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You are correct! But the latest ice age ended prior to humanity developing large scale agriculture, which led to "civilization" and large stationary cities. When everybody was a hunter-gatherer (or had limited agriculture) the tribe could pack and leave for greener pastures very easily. Theoretically humanity
has the ability to adapt and overcome any large-scale climate change. :)
Theoretically we know how to use turn-signals too. :( It would be great to come back from the dead every 10,000 years or so just to see how humanity deals with climate change, massive earthquakes, the Yellowstone caldera exploding, nuclear war, etcetera.

I want to go back 12,000 years here and get in on a Columbian mammoth hunt with the Clovis hunters.

oldfella1962

I want to go back 12,000 years here and get in on a Columbian mammoth hunt with the Clovis hunters.
I know a guy who learned how to make and use an atlatl in some kind of Army survival training deal. Not quite a mammoth hunt, but it would get you in the mood for one!

mammoth.jpg

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

As long as we skip from about 1975 through about 2030 (when the rest of the world wakes up to the global warming/climate change/CO2 is gonna kill us scam) I'm good with that. :bounce: :rockon:

bullgator

As long as we skip from about 1975 through about 2030 (when the rest of the world wakes up to the global warming/climate change/CO2 is gonna kill us scam) I'm good with that. :bounce: :rockon:
Wait!…..there were some good times in that period for me. I wouldn’t mind reliving a few.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I have a few atlatls.

I have got to make some more atlatl spears. I have some fine cured rivercane stored in the barn, wild turkey tail feathers for fletchings, and plenty of deer leg bone for points. Might even dose up and do a little flintknapping and make a couple of obsidian points.

And I do believe you wanted a Hillsborough?

Big7

The Oracle
Wait!…..there were some good times in that period for me. I wouldn’t mind reliving a few.
A few times in there like to killed me.

As long as we are in the time machine, I'd say back to between 48 and 64 and hold it in there.

Things were good then.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have got to make some more atlatl spears. I have some fine cured rivercane stored in the barn, wild turkey tail feathers for fletchings, and plenty of deer leg bone for points. Might even dose up and do a little flintknapping and make a couple of obsidian points.

And I do believe you wanted a Hillsborough?
I would love to have one of your points of any type. I have a Hillsborough I need to send you.