Slaughter of the Innocent

Danno

A bolt-action rifle is a military combat weapon. A lever-action carbine is a military combat weapon. A single-shot musket is a military combat weapon. So are revolvers and pump shotguns. All of these evolved primarily as military combat weapons and have been the top of the line in military armnament in their time. The old Winchester and Henry lever guns were the first military assault rifles. When the 2nd was written, the average civilian weapon was more effective than the military ones. That's why we are Americans instead of British subjects-civilians with more firepower than British troops.

These weapons aren't the problem-it's the moral breakdown of society and lack of empathy for fellow people that is the problem. There are sick, twisted people out there. Seemingly more all the time. How many did McVeigh kill with a truckload of fertilizer? Yes, I have the deepest feeling for those who died and their families. I'm a father too. I also want my children to grow up as citiizens of a free country, not as subjects of the government. It is unthinkable to me that anyone could do such a thing as this person did. It is also unthinkable to me that others will use a tragedy of this scope to further their political purposes. And that so many will be unable to see them doing it.

Well said. I agree completely! As a society we are broken. This going to take generations to fix. It is going to take a family commitment to 10 basic rules of life...The ten commandments. I challenge anyone to explain to me how we as a society would not thrive when guided by these rules. Treat the illness not the symptoms.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Well said. I agree completely! As a society we are broken. This going to take generations to fix. It is going to take a family commitment to 10 basic rules of life...The ten commandments. I challenge anyone to explain to me how we as a society would not thrive when guided by these rules. Treat the illness not the symptoms.

Totally agree, with one exception. This country is filled will thousands of stupid, lazy, irresponsible parents. It'll take a century to turn them around. Several generations. In the meantime our children are being slaughtered. Sinfully slaughtered. We must spend whatever necessary to attempt to save the rest.
Maybe it's fruitless! But we have to try something.

Maybe a volunteer security force made up of retired grandpa's. Something.

pbradley

So, once again, the issue is everyone's 2nd amendment right rather than a solution to what's infected this nation for a decade?

If this is about 2amend defense against a government, we gonna need some nukes, cause small arms ain't gonna get the job done.

How will the wholesale violation of the rights of ordinary, innocent, law-abiding individuals address the problem?

deadend

Totally agree, with one exception. This country is filled will thousands of stupid, lazy, irresponsible parents. It'll take a century to turn them around. Several generations. In the meantime our children are being slaughtered. Sinfully slaughtered. We must spend whatever necessary to attempt to save the rest.
Maybe it's fruitless! But we have to try something.

Maybe a volunteer security force made up of retired grandpa's. Something.
How much are you willing to pay for emotional security effective or not? What dollar amount?

pbradley

How bout a deputy sheriff at each school?

What will your deputy do when we've taken away the bad guys' guns and they've switched over to bombs?

pbradley

That'd be fine except for one important thing. The Military's arms are locked in a very secure armament until they're needed. They don't take um home.
I'm afraid many homeowners simply have theirs leaning in a corner, or on display.

How well did that work out at Fort Hood in 2009?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
How will the wholesale violation of the rights of ordinary, innocent, law-abiding individuals address the problem?

So many questions, so very few legitimate answers.....especially for an atrocity that most can't even begin to comprehend. Blanket the blame........:rolleyes:

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
You know what? You guyes are right. Let's do nothing. Let's do absolutely nothing.

Just maybe it won't happen again. And if it does, maybe that will be the last time.

And maybe it won't be in Georgia, or Florida. We'll just hope it won't, alright.

I mean, and anyway if it does happen it'll be the fault of the guilty person. He'll be tried and punished, and the story will end.
What can we do?????????????????? :huh:

zedex

Gator Bait
As a gun owner I do feel grief.. I feel for the kids who were hid by their teacher only to hear her last breath after being shot when she told the shooter her students were in the gym...I feel for the the students who heard the gun fire over the PA system over and over again...But every time 1 person does something like this the first thing people scream is tighter gun laws take away guns..I got news for those folks, cars kill more people then guns, so why not take away cars, how about knives and bats and all the other " weapons" people use...You wanna help fix the issue start by making it a minimum sentence of 20 yrs if you use a "weapon" to commit a crime ( key word weapon any thing you use is a weapon), this 20 yr term is on top of what ever you get for the actual crime, if someone gets injured during the crime make it 40 yrs, they die you die plain and simple...

Think about it someone makes a choice to load a gun, chamber a round, take the gun off safety, aim it and pull the trigger, so how is it a gun's fault? We don't blame a car when the driver does 100 MPH and plows into a school bus so why blame a gun for the deliberate act of a person?

I agree stronger, stiffer penalities for those who use weapons, but before something like could be done, a less vague rule should be applied as well as circumstance control.

Broad spectrum laws are frequently abused. An example would be the FVA, or Family Violence Act, in GA. Due to poor, vague wording, nearly any action during an argument or heated discussion is considered a form of violence. A Glynn county cop told me that if you are arguing with your spouse { or anyone who has spent at least one night in your home- or whom you stayed with} and you throw your car keys on the ground during the argument, it is considered an act of aggression and therefore falls under the FVA rule. If you go out and slam the door and a picture falls from the wall, it is a FVA.

As a FVA violation, you lose your gun rights, {even if it is a misdomeanor} arrest/conviction was made against you. And NO VIOLENCE has to be comitted.

You have the right idea, but strict clarification must be made as to what and under what circumstance, constitutes a weapon.

Broad, vague rules could make two school kids playing baseball and arguing a 20 year sentence- argument and a ball bat=good bye, little fella. Being vague means the bat nearby, though not used, is a weapon.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
You know what? You guyes are right. Let's do nothing. Let's do absolutely nothing.

Just maybe it won't happen again. And if it does, maybe that will be the last time.

And maybe it won't be in Georgia, or Florida. We'll just hope it won't, alright.

I mean, and anyway if it does happen it'll be the fault of the guilty person. He'll be tried and punished, and the story will end.

Let's start by laying blame where it lies. I don't know where, but I do know where it doesn't.

pbradley

I don't see anyone saying "do nothing" but I can tell you right now I'd rather do nothing all day long than do the wrong thing and harm millions more Americans even once.

It's not enough to just run around, waving your arms in the air, caring about things and yelling, "Oh, why doesn't somebody do something?!?"

If you're going to take an action that will impact tens of millions of people, you better make DARN SURE it's the right action.

Now, let's say that the gun grabbers get their wish and take away a bunch of guns from decent individuals - now what?

You've just created a whole new class of disarmed victims. Whose rights are you going to violate then, when you've already disarmed the public and crime goes up because people can't effectively defend their lives, their property, or their neighbors?

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Let's start by laying blame where it lies. I don't know where, but I do know where it doesn't.

It's not even about laying blame.
It's about dead children and preventing it somehow.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher

The way to prevent it is to take a gun to a gun fight. Have it optional for teachers and faculty members to take a course for proper gun use and safety, have them get certified annualy and let them defend the school. How well do you think some video game playing punk kid will stand up against a professionally trained marksman?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master

Every discussion I've seen here or on the news is about whom or what to blame on this atrocity, how could this happen, why did it happen, wherein does the problem lie(blame). How do we fix it so it never happens again?

You have to have something to blame in order to do anything to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Do you not?

DAVE

I cried over those kids, but 20 kids out of 300 million people don't deserve radical change. As for so called recent trends toward viloence like the world has never known, I would remind people of a brother named Cain.

Backlasher82

You really want to do something to end all of these mass killings at schools?

Put an end to "Gun free zones"!

All they do is tell these mental defectives is that they will be able to murder innocents who have no way to defend themselves.:flag:

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I cried over those kids, but 20 kids out of 300 million people don't deserve radical change. As for so called recent trends toward viloence like the world has never known, I would remind people of a brother named Cain.

Now there's a great slogan for a bumper sticker.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Dear Heavenly Father,

Please be with the families of the victims of this horrible crime. Give them mercy in this dark time of their life. Lord let us look within ourselves and see all the horrible things we accept, both of ourselves and of this world. Let us look to you to solve all of our problems. Most of all Lord be with my two young sons and wife, and every child both born and unborn, for they are the most precious and innocent of all living things. Help us as men to stop failing them and you. Let us lean on you to get this country back on track, to look over our minor differences and unite for our common good.

Amen