Philippian jailer purpose of the earthquake?

Artfuldodger

Acts 16:26
Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everyone’s chains came loose.

I was thinking it was to shock the jailer into conversion but if he had been converted or regenerated, would he try to kill himself?

Artfuldodger

Maybe God sent the earthquake as the first step in His series of events to convert the jailer. The jailer could not have converted base on hearing Paul and Silas pray all night for the same reason. He almost killed himself after hearing them pray all night so that couldn't have been his motivation.
Did the jailer have any concern at all about his soul’s salvation when he went to sleep? After the earthquake or when Paul called out, we are all hear?
Yet does hearing the prisoners say that somehow convert him? Actually that just lead him to asking.

Artfuldodger

If the earthquake was to show the jailer God's power, he would not have tried to kill himself. I think his suicide attempt was more about a selfish man than one seeking God.
Maybe Paul had a divine intervention to call out to the jailer and thus God saved the jailer from physical death using man.

Madman

Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everyone’s chains came loose.

I was thinking it was to shock the jailer into conversion but if he had been converted or regenerated, would he try to kill himself?
Is this story not about much more than the jailer?

Artfuldodger

Leading up to them being in jail is the demon girl who kept shouting "These men are servants of the Most High God, who are telling you the way to be saved" while Paul and Silas preached.

Thus maybe the jailer wanted eternal salvation after he changes mind on suicide. The suicide thing is what's throwing me.

Madman

When God performs a miracle it has a purpose, and that purpose is reveal himself in his “hiddenness”. The jailer was only a small part, other prisoners, people in the town, etc. were shown the power of the One God of Paul.

gordon 2

Why do you think he had been converted or regenerated?

What I find interesting is that Peter walked out of his jail in a similar event and Paul does not. Paul seems to not want to escape the authorities at the highest level, in fact he wants to confront them at the highest level. His appeal will eventually be to Caesar. The "miracle" might be to test Paul?

At this point in Paul's ministry Paul is dogged about where he deems it most important to go and in fact how to proceed. I find he is imitating Jesus's surrender to the civil authority.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Maybe the better question would be "What part did God causing the earthquake have in the jailer's conversion?" It did at least start the ball rolling as the jailer had no desire to "believe" when he went to bed. Paul had no desire to "believe" when he started his journey on the road to Damascus.

I'm sure the earthquake was a multi-purpose miracle.

Last edited:

gemcgrew

Maybe the better question would be "What part did God causing the earthquake have in the jailer's conversion?" It did at least start the ball rolling as the jailer had not desire to "believe" when he went to bed. Paul had no desire to "believe" when he started his journey on the road to Damascus.

I'm sure the earthquake was a multi-purpose miracle.
We don't have all of the details. What we do have though, is a summary of Christ saving His people from their sins.