Picanha!

BluewaterFever

How many of you all have tried a picanha cooked whole on the grill?
This is the steak that is normally served at Brazilian steak houses on a skewer. It is a sirloin cap that has TONS of flavor and nice and tender. It's a close kin to the Tri Tip but much better in my opinion. I have spent quite a bit of time in California central coast where the Santa Maria Tri tip was first introduced.
Anyhow, they have these at Publix and I will indulge in one occasionally. Well tonight it's on the menu along with sweet taters and asperass.
More pics to follow:20240209_184502.jpg
All seasoned up!
20240209_184606.jpg
On the flame!

ryork

I’ve had it at Brazilian places a time or two. That looks like your off to a good start.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Lindseys Grandpa

I have done one . It's very good similar to Tri-Tip which is my favorite. Like Tri tip be careful to not over cook it or you will ruin a good piece of meat . Last time I was at Costco they had them 2 to a pack .

ambush80

How many of you all have tried a picanha cooked whole on the grill?
This is the steak that is normally served at Brazilian steak houses on a skewer. It is a sirloin cap that has TONS of flavor and nice and tender. It's a close kin to the Tri Tip but much better in my opinion. I have spent quite a bit of time in California central coast where the Santa Maria Tri tip was first introduced.
Anyhow, they have these at Publix and I will indulge in one occasionally. Well tonight it's on the menu along with sweet taters and asperass.
More pics to follow:View attachment 1287928
All seasoned up!

I'm used to seeing it like this: One of my favorite things at the churrascaria, seasoned perfectly with salt and fire.

picanha-1.jpg

LonePine

I cook up a picanha pretty regular by doing a reverse sear. Season with S&P and cook indirect until it gets to 120F. Then pull it off while I get the egg up to 500+. Then hit it 90 seconds on each side. Rest for 10 mins. Slice and serve with some chimmichuri. Fine eats for sure

Last edited:

ambush80

I cook up a picanha pretty regular by doing a reverse sear. Season with S&P and cook indirect until it gets to 115-120F. Then pull it off while I get the egg up to 500+. Then hit it 90 seconds on each side. Rest for 10 mins. Slice and serve with some chimmichuri. Fine eats for sure
Where do you buy yours?

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Mercy! I was working in Brazil many years ago and was introduced to Picanha. I about killed myself on the stuff.

The places that I was introduced to it where very authentic (locals took me). I am guessing it was reversed seared as they brought it out and put it on a low flame grill that looked like a large George Forman grill of course modified. :bounce: You then cut your own slices and forked onto your plate with a 'community fork and knife'. 100% the best steaks that I ever had - Argentinian beef.

ambush80

Found mine today at Brasstown Beef in Franklin. Being Friday they had steaks vacuumed sealed 2 to a pack. Didn't have a whole today. Looking forward to cooking it. Now have to find a good sauce recipe.
What's that go for per pound?

Latest posts