Pioneer Powder

popgun

Pioneer is Cleanshot by another shape

A while back Cleanshot made pellets that looked like Pyrodex pellets made by Hodgdon. Hodgdon sued Cleanshot because Hodgdon developed the pellet technology in that form. Hodgdon won the suit and Cleanshot stopped making the 'same shape' pellets.

It was not long before Pioneer showed up with a different shape pellet. Pellets made of compressed Cleanshot.

Now, here is what I know about Triple Se7en and Pioneer pellets. I used Cleanshot pellet in the old shape and have two cans of the stuff that won't shoot anymore. Cleanshot degrades over time and looses burning rate. One season to the jug of Cleanshot pellets or granular powder then throw the remainder in the garden.

Cleanshot is very clean burning like Triple Se7en but cleaner than Triple Seven. Same water cleanup ease for both but Triple Se7en does leave more fouling in the barrel between shots making seating of the next round harder. A quick spit patch down the barrel between shots fixes that with Triple Se7en. Ok, we usually only shoot one round when hunting anyhow so no big deal.

Triple Se7en is hotter giving better Muzzle Velocity than Cleanshot.

As for the life of Triple Seven I am getting two consecutive years hunting from the same box of Triple Seven pellets I bought for the 2003 season. There is no loss of velocity over my chronograph from last year to this year.

In my use I found Triple Se7en to be better to hunt with than Cleanshot.

Using Triple Se7en pellets, two (2) 50/50 pellets is a maximum charge regardless of the firearm used. Read the notice that comes with the Triple Se7en powder.

With Pyrodex you can use 3 50/50 pellets in a magnum rifle or 2 50/50 pellets in a standard rifle. Pyrodex leaves heavy fouling similar to black powder and using hot water, soap, and serious scrubbing is needed for cleanup.

Pellets by any manufacturer are not recommended for use in side ignition cap lock or flintlock rifles.

Don't mix granular powder with a pellet charge per the factory information.

Shoot safe,
Chris

bevills1

Thanks for info on Triple 7 and Pioneer powder comparison. Thus far I've only used Pyrodex in my TC Black Diamond inline, and I plan to stick with that based on info provided. I presume you mean to include the Hawken or any other non inline muzzle loader when you say, "Pellets by any manufacturer are not recommended for use in side ignition cap lock or flintlock rifles." Others may be unaware of that as I was, and I think I read a post where someone on this forum had a problems when Pyrodex pellets failed to fire in a Hawken rifle.