Pipes Busted

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
We’ve made it so far. Was on shift at the fire dept yesterday. About 4 o’clock the fire alarms started coming. We responded to 4 busted sprinkler systems and one frozen smoke detector in an hour.

oldfella1962

no, I let my outside of the house spickets run at a steady drip for the past few days so I'm fine. A couple of years ago I had to get the hair blow-dryer out and unfreeze an outside spicket, so I learned from that. But there is a big collection of ice where the water had been dripping so it was definitely a long period of continuously freezing weather! o_O Okay now I see it's 28 degrees, so I guess I'll let them drip again tonight.

oldfella1962

So many frozen/broken pipes in Atlanta that they had to put out notices to stop calling emergency services about it because they were overwhelmed. They even had busted pipe issues at the already overwhelmed & crowded airport. What a Christmas season!

Doug B.

Wow, we made a big mistake and it looks like we got away with it. This house came with a third hose bibb on the less used side of the house. I forgot all about it and it was uncovered. Looks like it’s good as it turned on normal.
They could be frost proof hose bibs? Also a regular hose bib won't freeze usually if it's in the 20's of a night but gets up in the 40's or higher during the day.

sinclair1

They could be frost proof hose bibs? Also a regular hose bib won't freeze usually if it's in the 20's of a night but gets up in the 40's or higher during the day.
We live in the Marsh. Our main is above ground before it goes into the house. Then it goes in the attic and runs down walls. I guess we are good. It hasn’t been this cold here Since the place was built. We had succulents still growing last week and green sod.1DD53942-1AB6-4C56-85BF-669EA68FEFE7.jpeg

Last edited:

Doug B.

We live in the Marsh. Our main is above ground before it goes into the house. Then it goes in the attic and runs down walls. I guess we are good. It hasn’t been this cold here Since the place was built. We had succulents still growing last week and green sod.
Up here in the mountains it routinely gets down to the low 20's and even in the teens several nights in a row during the winter. A house that has no heat at all in it won't freeze at those temperatures. It takes temperatures of HIGHS in the 20's for a couple of days for those pipes to freeze inside an unheated house. Now of course they would freeze if they were outside at those temperatures. And there are a lot of pipes frozen here now because we haven't had this cold of temperatures in several years so there was some negligence involved.

sinclair1

Up here in the mountains it routinely gets down to the low 20's and even in the teens several nights in a row during the winter. A house that has no heat at all in it won't freeze at those temperatures. It takes temperatures of HIGHS in the 20's for a couple of days for those pipes to freeze inside an unheated house. Now of course they would freeze if they were outside at those temperatures. And there are a lot of pipes frozen here now because we haven't had this cold of temperatures in several years so there was some negligence involved.
We came from north Ga and never worried about below zero. Here we won’t worry anymore, but we were not sure as this is as cold as it’s been since the house was built. We are 50 feet from swamp as well.
It probably won’t get 18 for 48 hours for another 30 years. I think they said last time was 1989?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I have a half bath that’s basically in the garage. It’s just outside the living area as you enter the garage. I’m guessing one of the kids shut the door and didn’t allow for the extra heat to get in. The pipe that busted was between the bathroom wall and the exterior.
One of the kids gonna be learning some plumbing if it was here