Pipes Busted

jbogg

Had one burst on Christmas Eve. It was a waterline on an exterior wall that went to an outside Spicket. Thankfully we were home at the time or it would have been a lot of water damage inside our home. It was 8° combined with 30 mile an hour constant wind across Lake Lanier for two days so windchill was closer to -12.

leroy

Sister in law walked up to their pool sat morning to find it half empty, when it was plumbed guy put fitting in a way that water didn't circulate even with pump running guess water was standing in it and it busted. Guy that installed pool said they were like the 20th one to call with it that morning said it was due to the wind chill.

basstrkr

Bout 1983 or '85 I had a couple of rental mobile homes. It was 5 degrees that morning, wind was blowing 30 mph and the renter called and said" I don't have any water." I said lady there ain't nobody in this county got any water!

bassboy1

We woke up to frozen lines Saturday morning here on the Gulf Coast. Stilt house, so waterline runs exposed up the side of one of the posts. I had turned off the valves and drained the lines that go to all the hose bibs, but didn't think to let anything inside drip.

Spent an hour with a heat gun thawing out that main line but still no water, so apparently frozen under the floor as well. Freed up the hose bib that T's off the main to be able to fill pitchers to bring in. Took until late afternoon before the pipes in the floor thawed. You can bet I let them drip the next couple nights.

Pex everywhere, so I guess everything is flexible enough to have not burst. Only leak I've found is in one shutoff valve for a hose bib line. Doesn't leak in the off or on position, but sprays out the side of the valve on the halfway position. I had drained the line downstream of it, but not much I can do for what is trapped in the valve.

Resica

Sister in law walked up to their pool sat morning to find it half empty, when it was plumbed guy put fitting in a way that water didn't circulate even with pump running guess water was standing in it and it busted. Guy that installed pool said they were like the 20th one to call with it that morning said it was due to the wind chill.
The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to more quickly cool the object to the current air temperature. The object will NOT cool below the actual air temperature.

K80Shooter

We just got back from Maryland, we spent the last week up there. Before we left, I turned the thermostat down to 40deg then locked the doors and away we went. Got back today and all seems good so far. :fine:

georgia_home

SIL had pipes bust in attic of 2 story home in VA. First and 2nd floor ceilings and steps from 2nd to first floor… out garage and into screen..

SIL’s in-laws in Columbia SC had pipes burst … flooded master bath and other parts of the house.

reckon there’s a lot of water damage being done to houses. Wonder if/how those insurance claims will work out.

leroy

The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to more quickly cool the object to the current air temperature. The object will NOT cool below the actual air temperature.
Yes, I think he was trying to throw cover to his plumbing blunders.

brunofishing

SIL had pipes bust in attic of 2 story home in VA. First and 2nd floor ceilings and steps from 2nd to first floor… out garage and into screen..

SIL’s in-laws in Columbia SC had pipes burst … flooded master bath and other parts of the house.

reckon there’s a lot of water damage being done to houses. Wonder if/how those insurance claims will work out.
Very slowly. We still have a long list of flooded homes to get to!

specialk

reading these threads reminds me of living in VA as a teen...we had a rental house that had a waterline that crossed the driveway...over the years the dirt had washed away enough that one year the pipe froze a foot deep over the driveway....we burned old tires till it thawed out.........

sinclair1

Yes, I think he was trying to throw cover to his plumbing blunders.
That’s true however speed is just as important. Without wind the pipes may be just about to freeze each night and then daybreak comes and it warms to high 20’s with sun warming some walls etc.
just as in gardening where you have micro climates within the property based on wind block or sun direction.

I learned I had a Micro climate on my property. It backs up to Marsh and the radiant heat is 2 degrees warmer than 200 ft away. The temp in the swamp was 10 degrees higher. You old swampers probably knew that but I am new to this swamp living. :flag: