Plant or don’t plant??

Washtub

Debating on weather to plant tomorrow or not. I’m in Meriwether county and Wednesday shows a 51% chance with no more rain in the forecast afterwards. I was thinking about planting my larger fall blend seeds tomorrow because I will drag those in after spreading; but wait to spread my clover seed on top when there is a more consistent rain forecasted.

What’s everyone else doing?

Philnlucky

When its as dry as its been in SW Ga, I prefer to plant a couple of days after a rain when the soil moisture will aid germination. But I do understand going ahead with planting if you have rain in the forecast and a limited time available to plant. Good luck to you.

specialk

im putting one in tomorrow at the house.....

Washtub

When its as dry as its been in SW Ga, I prefer to plant a couple of days after a rain when the soil moisture will aid germination. But I do understand going ahead with planting if you have rain in the forecast and a limited time available to plant. Good luck to you.
I was thinking I’d rather plant in really dry dirt so the seed won’t germinate, that way if it doesn’t rain the seed will be fine until we finally do get some rain…whenever that may be.

My biggest fear was to plant and the soil have enough moisture for the seed to germinate but then we don’t get any rain for weeks.

I think I’m going to go for it. Worst case scenario is I have to disc again and buy another bag of seed if this first attempt fails. My plots aren’t very big so there’s not a ton of money lost in having to replant later on.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you wait until the perfect time, it'll never be planted. I plant mine on Labor Day weekend every year, because it's when I can. It works most years.

We are in meriwether also. We aren’t planting until more rain is in the forecast regardless when that is.. we have about 10 acres we will be planting with a nesco no till drill.. seen folks that have plant and plant to early either army worms get them or they germinate come up and then burn up. One of our members lives close and can plany any day of the week. So no worries for us on not being able to do it

Grandpa always said(for South GA)... the best time was October 15th... asked when was the next best time ... he said the next October 15th...

Seemed to work ....
Grand pas know. Only difference from his time to now is things have changed. A lot warmer and dryer now later than it use to be

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We are in meriwether also. We aren’t planting until more rain is in the forecast regardless when that is.. we have about 10 acres we will be planting with a nesco no till drill.. seen folks that have plant and plant to early either army worms get them or they germinate come up and then burn up. One of our members lives close and can plany any day of the week. So no worries for us on not being able to do it
Should be nice plots by the time the season closes.

Kev

I Planted one of mine august 30th. That’s about earlier than I’ve ever planted but it’s also the best looking plot I’ve had in years. We’ll see what happens.
I’d plant the first chance I could get.

basshappy

BANNED
Rule of 50/50 - it is going to rain or it will not rain. Your seeds have no chance of doing you any good not getting put in the ground. In the ground they have a shot. Out of the ground no shot. Unless those seeds cost a mess of magic beans I would plant. What do you have to lose? Time outdoors, time working, time well spent. You seed and no rain, you chuckle at Murphy. You don't seed and there is rain, you hate your lack of taking the chance. Go plant them there seeds!

Big7

The Oracle
Well I have not seen it grow in the bag . It will rain because it is peanut season,it just might not be on the forcast. Trust me it will.
Hope you can keep the feral pigs out of those p- nuts.