Planting Durana clover

Mackie889

2 questions:
I have 5#'s of Durana clover that I want to plant. I also have some rye grain and oats to use as a cover crop. What ratio should I use for this ... 5# Durana, 25# Oats, 25# rye?
Also, what fertilizer should I use?
Choices are 10-10-10 or 5-10-15
Thank you for any advice!

ventilator

How big a plot is it? Wait till you work the oats and rye into the soil before you broadcast the Durana. Durana likely wont do much til spring. Takes forever for that stuff to grow much. Clover wont benefit much from that fertilizer. I would use the 10-10-10 if you cant get anything better for the oats and rye.

Mackie889

How big a plot is it?
I plan to have a small plot of standing corn (planted each year by the farmer that leases our row crop fields) in each of our 3 crop fields. I'd like to plant the area between the corn and woods in 2 different areas. The area closest to the wood line, I was going to plant the clover. It would be about 3/4-1 acre total for all 3 areas. Between the clover and corn, I was going to plant soybeans in the Spring and a Fall mix in October. I was going to lightly cover the oat / rye mixture, then broadcast the Durana, and finally use my cultipacker. On the fertilizer, an ammonium nitrate would be the only other fertilizer at the coop where I get my fertilizer

mattb78

I think you are a little shy on the grain. I know 50/lbs acre of grain is a pretty common rule of thumb but in my experience I go a little heavier when using rye as a component of grain plantings versus wheat or oats.

FootLongDawg

Do you have a way of mowing your Durana? Like someone said, fall planted Durana does really produce till the next spring. It then does much better mowed 2 to three times a year, clipping off the top third. And fertilizing with 0-20-20.

Mackie889

I think you are a little shy on the grain. I know 50/lbs acre of grain is a pretty common rule of thumb but in my experience I go a little heavier when using rye as a component of grain plantings versus wheat or oats.
OK thanks ... I did order 50# each of the abbruzi rye and oats so have more to put out if needed. Maybe 35# rye, 25# oats, 5# Durana per acre? Thanks for the reply!

Mackie889

Do you have a way of mowing your Durana? Like someone said, fall planted Durana does really produce till the next spring. It then does much better mowed 2 to three times a year, clipping off the top third. And fertilizing with 0-20-20.
Yes on the mower. I have both a bushhog and a finish mower to pull behind the tractor. So, would you fertilize lightly after each mowing, or once a year? So if I am understanding correctly based on ventilator's reply, I basically put out a 10-10-10 fertilizer when I plant everything this Fall, then switch to 0-20-20 fertilizer after that?

mattb78

Maybe 35# rye, 25# oats, 5# Durana per acre? Thanks for the reply!

35 to 50lb rye. Recommendations for single cropping rye are 75 to 100 lb acre and since that durana will mature later I would plant at rates more consistent with an oats and rye blend only.

Another would be 35 rye, 25 oats, 10 crimson and 5 durana. Crimson is an automatic IMO.

Mackie889

35 to 50lb rye. Recommendations for single cropping rye are 75 to 100 lb acre and since that durana will mature later I would plant at rates more consistent with an oats and rye blend only.

Another would be 35 rye, 25 oats, 10 crimson and 5 durana. Crimson is an automatic IMO.
Awesome ... thanks! I won't have the crimson clover by the time I go up this weekend. I will plant everything else this weekend and when I'm up at the farm in another week and a half after planting, I'll broadcast the crimson then. How much fertilizer (without a soil sample) would you recommend for about 1 acre?Also, If only the 10-10-10 and 22-0-0 are available, would you mix them to increase the amount of nitrogen being put down, for the rye and oats? Thanks VERY much for the help!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
If you plant the duranna in his tillage field he will turn it under and kill it next spring .If that is the case save money and plant an annual clover.

Mackie889

If you plant the duranna in his tillage field he will turn it under and kill it next spring .If that is the case save money and plant an annual clover.
The fields are mine (I own the land) and the farmer and I have already discussed what I want done. So, that won't be a problem. I am giving him a nice discount on the crop land lease to plant the corn for me and leave the area between the corn and woods alone for me to plant. So Durana it is! ???

Mackie889

5 lbs per acres of durana won't give you anything. 10 to 15 lbs per acre will make 8t happen. Spend your money on durana only and leave the other stuff at the store. 0-20-20 when you need to fertilize
I've read that the Durana should be planted w/ a cover crop (rye and/ or oats)? Or were you just talking about the crimson clover?

mattb78

Since you already bought the Durana and said you wanted to plant it I didn't comment. But yes I wouldn't even plant the Durana. Just do the Rye/Oats/Crimson combo and you have an October thru April plot which is all you need in ag country.

Durana produces the most tonnage May thru July and during that time the ag fields will be taking care of your deer.

A cool season grain/crimson combo will cover your only stress period for deer (winter) and give you great hunting opportunities.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I've read that the Durana should be planted w/ a cover crop (rye and/ or oats)? Or were you just talking about the crimson clover?
That is correct.It typically will germinate and have minimal stalk growth and grow roots the first season.
I have duranna that grows 10 months out of the year once I established it.I also mixed in other clovers that have a different peak growing season to have a year round clover patch.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Check the recommendations for seeding rates(Canuck5 has them on here) Putting to much seed will decrease the overall health of the plants and can cause issues with mold and premature plant die off. A well established root system will withstand grazing where to many roots will cause the deer to pull the shallow roots up.
I always plant a cover crop when I am overseeding when the clover is stressed in the fall.
Winter wheat does well for this.

treemanjohn

Banned
I've never planted durana with a cover crop. I've used crimson with a mix, but never durana. I only want durana as a stand alone. It always does great

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
5 lbs per acres of durana won't give you anything. 10 to 15 lbs per acre will make 8t happen. Spend your money on durana only and leave the other stuff at the store. 0-20-20 when you need to fertilize

I concur. It's going to take 15 lbs/acre minimum. I saw you don't use a cover crop. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Durana with a cover crop seems to do better for me.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I concur. It's going to take 15 lbs/acre minimum. I saw you don't use a cover crop. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Durana with a cover crop seems to do better for me.
First year you need the cover crop to keep the deers from pulling the roots up of the new clover.