Planting Durana clover

FootLongDawg

Yes on the mower. I have both a bushhog and a finish mower to pull behind the tractor. So, would you fertilize lightly after each mowing, or once a year? So if I am understanding correctly based on ventilator's reply, I basically put out a 10-10-10 fertilizer when I plant everything this Fall, then switch to 0-20-20 fertilizer after that?

Just fertilize one a year during the spring. Durana is really hardy. And don't freak out during the heat of the summer if it all looks like it is dying. It will blow up after a little rain

treemanjohn

Banned
First year you need the cover crop to keep the deers from pulling the roots up of the new clover.
That just doesn't happen. Durana has a robust root system and it establish itself before the leaves show. Browsing and broken stems just make it angry. Besides deer don't yank anything they bite it off. Sheep will yank when times are tough

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
That just doesn't happen. Durana has a robust root system and it establish itself before the leaves show. Browsing and broken stems just make it angry. Besides deer don't yank anything they bite it off. Sheep will yank when times are tough
.That's your opinion.... ...My experience is different in the 25 years of planting clovers.

Mackie889

Well thanks everyone for the info. I think I am going to have plots of a mixture of clovers. To the Durana, I'll add the crimson and Apache arrowleaf (done some research on that and it sounds pretty good too). I do plan to use a mix of rye and oats as a cover crop to give the deer something else to eat as the clovers are getting established this fall / winter. It should die off anyways, right? I'll just make sure I mow and fertilize it, overseed as needed, and keep on top of the weeds. Thanks again for the replies! I'll post up some pics in the future.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Well thanks everyone for the info. I think I am going to have plots of a mixture of clovers. To the Durana, I'll add the crimson and Apache arrowleaf (done some research on that and it sounds pretty good too). I do plan to use a mix of rye and oats as a cover crop to give the deer something else to eat as the clovers are getting established this fall / winter. It should die off anyways, right? I'll just make sure I mow and fertilize it, overseed as needed, and keep on top of the weeds. Thanks again for the replies! I'll post up some pics in the future.
The cereal grains will seed out and die in the late spring,depending on your location.Szme with the crimson unless it is reseeding and you mow it in early March.

treemanjohn

Banned
.That's your opinion.... ...My experience is different in the 25 years of planting clovers.
Nurse crops serve a purpose. It provides shade during hot months which allows more moisture to be retained. Fall clover desperately needs the sun in winter months and benefits from the increases soil Temps. Shade is not needed because the sun is so low. In the spring you can use everything that's on the ground already as a cover crop for free.

In my 24 5 years of growing clovers if never seen a need to waste money on a cover or nurse crop. I've always had excellent results. I want whatever in planting to receive 100% of the care I give it. Others plants will rob nutrients

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Nurse crops serve a purpose. It provides shade during hot months which allows more moisture to be retained. Fall clover desperately needs the sun in winter months and benefits from the increases soil Temps. Shade is not needed because the sun is so low. In the spring you can use everything that's on the ground already as a cover crop for free.

In my 24 5 years of growing clovers if never seen a need to waste money on a cover or nurse crop. I've always had excellent results. I want whatever in planting to receive 100% of the care I give it. Others plants will rob nutrients
Glad that works for you.My mileage is differennt.