Please, Stop calling RV'ing Camping

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
If you have to bring your bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room complete with an flat screen TV inside and outside, running water and need a 30 or 50 amp electrical hookup; You are NOT camping. You are in a motel (Mobile Hotel). You are surrounded by like minded people with 5 gallon buckets with lights in them, cornhole boards, auxiliary screened in porches / canopies, and so many other amenities from home.

Camping requires so much less and is so much more in the end. Whether it be truck camping, walk in primitive camping or back packing, it means getting away from the comforts of home, the modern conveniences, the noise of the TV and getting into the peace and serenity of nature. It means taking a break from the daily norm, which RV'ing is not.

If you must bring a reduced version of your home with you, you are an RV'er.....

NOT

A camper.

:pop:

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
If you have to bring your bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room complete with an flat screen TV inside and outside, running water and need a 30 or 50 amp electrical hookup; You are NOT camping. You are in a motel (Mobile Hotel). You are surrounded by like minded people with 5 gallon buckets with lights in them, cornhole boards, auxiliary screened in porches / canopies, and so many other amenities from home.

Camping requires so much less and is so much more in the end. Whether it be truck camping, walk in primitive camping or back packing, it means getting away from the comforts of home, the modern conveniences, the noise of the TV and getting into the peace and serenity of nature. It means taking a break from the daily norm, which RV'ing is not.

If you must bring a reduced version of your home with you, you are an RV'er.....

NOT

A camper.

:pop:

Dawn and I are RV'ers, I got the keys to my bro's Renegade . .

Cmp1

BANNED
Nothing better than camping by a lake or stream, fighting skeeters, drinking brewskis around a campfar, rods on the bank resting on a Y twig,,,, Java in the AM, and a good friend or two,,,,

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Nothing better than camping by a lake or stream, fighting skeeters, drinking brewskis around a campfar, rods on the bank resting on a Y twig,,,, Java in the AM, and a good friend or two,,,,

Is that anything like a forked stick????

::ke:::ke:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
They probably wouldn`t enjoy pre 1840 camping with a blanket, coffee boiler, and sleeping under a diamond.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I wish I could go RVing. U made it sound great. I would want to pull a boat to. I wouldn’t mind being next to them camper. But they drink my reeb & want to watch the sports channel on our TV.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I'll bite.

Where do you draw the line? We camped in two tents with our family of 6 for years. Never really had the RV bug, but I ran across the cargo conversion idea, presto, a hard-wall tent. As fancy, or as basic as you want it to be. I had so much gear crammed into our van, load/unload, kayaks and canoe on top, bikes on a rack behind, depending on our outdoor adventure destination, a friend recommended a small trailer setup to hold the tents and stuff, always ready to go. Well that idea lead to the cargo conversion.
Where did you go?

There's a few others on here with similar setups like ours. Now we have lots of gear, maybe that was the tipping point, mountain bikes, kayaks, etc.
Our Cargo Conversion.

The RV industry is built on "all the comforts of home", which never made sense to me either. I guess I went over the line when I designed our removable Air Conditioning setup.

Doh! "Hello, my name is normaldave, and I'm a closet RV'er...I used to camp in tents, but then one day..." :cry:

Cmp1

BANNED
I'll bite.

Where do you draw the line? We camped in two tents with our family of 6 for years. Never really had the RV bug, but I ran across the cargo conversion idea, presto, a hard-wall tent. As fancy, or as basic as you want it to be. I had so much gear crammed into our van, load/unload, kayaks and canoe on top, bikes on a rack behind, depending on our outdoor adventure destination, a friend recommended a small trailer setup to hold the tents and stuff, always ready to go. Well that idea lead to the cargo conversion.
Where did you go?

There's a few others on here with similar setups like ours. Now we have lots of gear, maybe that was the tipping point, mountain bikes, kayaks, etc.
Our Cargo Conversion.

The RV industry is built on "all the comforts of home", which never made sense to me either. I guess I went over the line when I designed our removable Air Conditioning setup.

Doh! "Hello, my name is normaldave, and I'm a closet RV'er...I used to camp in tents, but then one day..." :cry:

Too bad I didn't know you when I traded our cargo van,,,, I really like your setup though,,,,

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Maybe the funniest camping experience ever. Fall of the year, Camping at Mt. Cheaha State Park, we drive down the ridge line camp area on top of the mountain returning to our site near the lake below.

We pass by some campers, and there's a huge flat screen TV roped and bungeed between two large trees, big antenna on a tripod behind, yep Alabama football game on, small crowd, nice fire, Burma Shave...

jeardley

According to my wife RV'ing is camping. She's grown to enjoy her creature comforts. Sad thing is we used to go to the mountains often and pitch a tent with the bare necessities early on in our relationship. She would find a log/tree to squat/lean on, cook over a fire, etc. (We had a camper the whole time). Now I'm lucky to get her to go camping (Not RV'ing) once a year with the truck bed slap full. For myself the most peaceful trips have been the ones where I've parked my truck and spent a few days in the middle of nowhere with nothing but what I could carry on my back.

toyota4x4h

Shoot my wife and I tried the tent only thing instead of buying a travel trailer (rvs do have motors the ones you see ppl pulling are travel trailers or campers). With two dogs and literally a Tacoma bed full of gear we made a few trips last year. Anything before june was ok but after he humidity and just plain nastiness of it was too much. Not to mention a few monsoons that soaked us in the night. In march I bought a 1984 Minnie Winnie on a chevy chassis and after some spruce ups WE LOVE IT! With our two dogs plus a newborn now all we have to do is get in and go. I don't have a tv in it as of yet so we just sit around play board games or read books. We love getting outdoors and taking our kayaks out and I wouldn't trade the old Winnebago for anything!

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
I've "camped" since I was a kid, anywhere from the Everglades to the Appalachian 50 mile trail. Got in a wreck, back can't handle it anymore. Give me the RV, but I really and truly USE to love it !!!

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Sounds like someone might be a little jelly. :rofl:

I've camped all my life in a tent. When you get up in age, you kinda like it more sleeping in a nice comfy bed with a bathroom steps away. We go RV-ing, but we don't sit in it and watch TV and the stove inside has never been used. The TV comes on only if there is a UGA game on. :cheers:

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master

I've camped all my life in a tent. When you get up in age, you kinda like it more sleeping in a nice comfy bed with a bathroom steps away. We go RV-ing, but we don't sit in it and watch TV and the stove inside has never been used. The TV comes on only if there is a UGA game on. :cheers:
Jelly? And I used to respect you.

We've actually gone the opposite direction from a pop-up years ago back down to fully rigged backpacks and individual half dome tents ready to hit the trail. That's where we started 30+ years ago, have done research and found new tech that actually makes it comfy for us at our age and we're rigged up and ready to go as soon as cooler weather sets in.

Jelly? Really? No more butt rub for you old person.

toyota4x4h

Yeah he def sounds a bit jelly. My father in law in law just bought a class a with a king bed in the back and full bathroom. Talk about nice!

Cmp1

BANNED
Jelly? And I used to respect you.

We've actually gone the opposite direction from a pop-up years ago back down to fully rigged backpacks and individual half dome tents ready to hit the trail. That's where we started 30+ years ago, have done research and found new tech that actually makes it comfy for us at our age and we're rigged up and ready to go as soon as cooler weather sets in.

Jelly? Really? No more butt rub for you old person.

Lol lol lol,,,,, come up here and do the Manistee River Trail,,,,,