Ponderosa wood stove

letsemwalk

Anyone on here have one? Hoping to refurbish this one for my shop. Anyone have any tips on rust removal and painting. Thinking of heating it up and using a wire brush on grinder to remove the rust. Then while warm, put primer on it to bake it in and then a black gloss to finish it. All the vents on the door work. I've tried to do research on it but the only ones I find have huntsman on the door instead of ponderosa.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1473634963670.jpg
    FB_IMG_1473634963670.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,273
  • FB_IMG_1473634971070.jpg
    FB_IMG_1473634971070.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 832

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
Looks like if that top part had a door it could be used as an oven.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
How "new" do you want it to look. I would be more concerned with function in a shop stove. Wire brush it and paint it with stove paint or manifold paint. Ospho is a product that is painted over rust (iron oxide) and converts it to iron phosphate, a black substance. This will stop further rusting and can be painted over but will leave a rougher surface.

IFLY4U

I have one without the top box and it works great! I heat a 30x30 garage and it will run you out of it if you don't keep the vents adjusted down for the draft. Mine has fire brick on the floor and a third the way up the sides. It was used when I got it so I coated the brick with a layer of refractory and put a new door seal in it and it has been trouble free since. I got the refractory from amazon and the door seal from a local hardware store.
Gary

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Looks like if that top part had a door it could be used as an oven.
The top box is likely a secondary combustion chamber for more heat and less smoke.
I have one of these in my shop. How do you use the vents to control the flame?
Just like a smoker, limiting the available air/oxygen will dampen down the fire.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have one of these in my shop. How do you use the vents to control the flame?
Open them when you're starting the fire. When you get a bed of coals built up and the stove loaded down, shut them down to hold the fire at a moderate level so it will last. There's usually a damper on the stovepipe that works with the stove vents, too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Will the fire need air to keep going when I close all the vents?
It varies from stove to stove, but most of them, you're not going to put it out by closing the vents as long as you have a good, banked fire in there.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
We had one that would shut the flame down completely. Coals would last through the night so lighting up the next morning was just a matter of opening up the dampers and adding fuel.

weholt

When you talk about dampers, does that mean one of the vents on the front? I don't see anything else to open or close. The isn't anything on the stove pipe.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Yes they generally screw in and out to adjust the amount of air they let in. Some stoves might have a damper in the flue pipe as well. It will be a disk inside the pipe that is adjusted by turning a handle on the outside of the pipe.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Yes. Set it that way to start a fire. Open the top one to adjust for a more complete burn and less smoke after the fire is going.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
To dampen down the fire, like for overnight, close the bottom two and crack the top open a little. You will have to play with just how much adjustment is needed on your stove and it will change some with the quality of the wood used.