Pop Up Camper Question

HIGH COUNTRY

Okay, I didnt do the RV thing very well - bought brand new Forest River Grey Wolf Limited. Lots issues ac and door had to be rebuilt.

had to have a truck to pull it, and my truck was dying and I commute a long way to work each day so I went with wifes old subaru outback now I have an older but good shape f150 too.

I didnt like the size of it, especially pulling it.

So now I am thinking popcamper, like new or new Flagstaff camper.

Need something for me and grandson hunting season since land is two hours from home, tired of paying 65/70 a night for hunters motel.

It prob would not have a bathroom, but would be good place to sleep and frig and heating and cooling.

Just seems easier to tow it, though it would be smaller for us but just two of us.

Wife and I could also occasionally use it to go Jekyll, coast, etc...

What do you think?

THANKS

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Can you leave it at the hunting club year round?

bany

Well it really is a glorified tent. Stinks to have to close it up when wet, literally. Under a roof would be better but it’s not a bad way to go. I sold mine for a travel trailer I didn’t mind pulling. I wouldn’t be against having another one.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
When we were looking for and testing budget solutions, we rented a Jayco popup camper for a beach trip to South Carolina. It poured rain most of the time and that thing didn't leak a drop. I was amazed.

It was crowded, there were 6 of us, 2 middle school kids oldest, but we made it work. Ultimately it was not our choice going forward. It towed easy, and setup/takedown was reasonable. It offered the most sleeping space for the dollar. Roof A/C was noisy.

At the end of the day, for us, we built a cargo trailer conversion. That was 11 years ago. We are camping in that same trailer next month near Mt. Yonah. I pull it with my E-150 Club Wagon V-8 van or my Mitsubishi Montero V6. 3,000lbs fully loaded.

7x16 Cargo Trailer Conversion
WP_20181005_16_32_51_Pro.jpg

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
we camped in a pop up for several years as a family. 7 of us in there, and it was a bit crowded. Ours had a small fridge, a sink, dining table, and 2 pop outs on the ends. The dining table dropped for a bed, and a small booth on one side would sleep a child, maybe up to 10 years old or so.

We never had any issues with rain, storms or such getting us wet, but in the winter if you ran the lp heater, sometimes the canvas would sweat and drip on you.

The AC was adequate, but not overly efficient. I pulled it with a Dodge Caravan, a F150 and my daughter pulled it with a Ford Exploder. None of them had any issues pulling the camper.

I think a pop up would be a welcome addition to a deer camp, especially one in the southern part of the state, where the AC would feel like heaven on those opening weeks where it was still above 70 degrees during the day.

Timberman

I have one. I modified mine for more ground clearance to go off road. I keep it at my hunt club and basically leave it open during the season. I also use it for WMA hunts. It’s not big but it’s dry and the ac will freeze you out and a buddy heater will keep you warm. YMMV67520E20-7361-4CF9-A6EC-2BD16E326253.jpeg

basshappy

BANNED
@HIGH COUNTRY

Have you considered a van? Everything has plusses and minuses so it depends on your criteria and which variables matter most to you.

I went with a van because 1) I want to be able to drive away as quickly as I can in any event I need to (so having everything important already in a motor vehicle is key) and not waste time packing or throwing and going in an emergency and 2) I wanted my boy to have solid walls around and overhead if need be (depending on where we stay, changing weather, etc) and 3) sleeping in the van can easily be done at more places than a pop-up or a tent (parking lots, rest areas, etc).

We have a tent and gear for when we want to get out of the van. But many nights have been spent inside the van. We have driven all over East of the Mississippi in it and stayed in many places probably not permissible in a pop-up. Plus it really is the length of a fullsize bed pickup so parking in the city is easier than pulling a pop-up.

A used van might be an option. Especially is you and your grandson like to tinker and build. Because y'all could build out the inside to your liking.

Hoss

We camped in popup for many years deer hunting. Daughters grew up spending weekends at our hunting club during hunting season and the off season. It was a small pop up without a heater, AC, or fridge, so it was pretty much a tent on wheels. We loved it, just not real pleasant on hot summer nights. Finally exchanged it of a hard wall. Passed the hard wall on when we left that hunting club.
About 4 years ago, we started looking at campers again. We looked at small hard walls, but couldn’t find anything we liked that my Frontier could pull easily, so we ended up with another popup. This one is a lot nicer, king bed on one end and queen on the other. Heater, AC, fridge, and and toilet and shower. We have used it for three years, mostly during hunting season. Works great for us and we have room for daughters, spouses, and grandkids, just not all at the same time. Plan is to let our daughters use it with their families if they want to.

0C10EFC6-8F59-4DF6-AF21-7E1B9259F5A0.jpeg

HIGH COUNTRY

Hoss,

That is the brand that I have been looking at the most, Flagstaff - Which exact one is yours?

Looks like you bought it new, i am spoiled but I want either new or almost new - any suggestions on that?

ryanh487

I mean for the price point and weight have you looked at just getting a smaller camper? A 15-17' is pretty close in tow specs to a decent popup, about the same price, doesn't have soft sides to leak or mold, and has a bathroom. The dinette should fold into a bed for your son, and when it's just you and the wife she'll be more comfortable.

specialk

we can leave our campers on the lease year round. most guys buy an older one and fix it up to meet their needs and haul it down.....

westcobbdog

My buddy has around 30 yrs in the RV industry running parts depts and he tells me not to buy a pop up go with a hard shell. That's what I would do.

Hoss

Pop-ups have disadvantages, set-up and take-down aren’t a lot of fun. Wet canvas isn’t either. Being retired isn’t as big of a problem with that as I can wait for it to dry out. The big advantage to us is the feeling of openness. Open the window and it feels like you are in the outdoors even when you are in the camper and the visibility of what is going on around you is wonderful. Feels like you are ”in” the outdoors. Best place for them is when you are boon docking and no one else is around. In a campground, the openness doesn’t add as much. When we are at our deer camp, it’s kind of like boon docking so it really works for us.

Jeff Holt

Been staying in a pop up for the last 2 deer seasons. Keep it popped up and haven't had any problems. Of course I have a tarp suspended above it to help with rain and debris falling. Gets a little cold sometimes as the heater doesn't work but I have a small electric heater and a buddy heater when it's really cold. Sleeps great.