Prayer 101- Why I'm Praying for the University of Georgia to Win the College Football Playoff

LittleDrummerBoy

Georgia fan prayers > Alabama fan prayers

I don't think of it this way. Most of the time, I don't pray for the outcomes of sporting events. But when I consider a subject for prayer, I like to go beyond praying for the outcome I want to see. I like to consider the matter in light of Scripture and see if I can find a Biblical basis to pray in a certain way. Just like my earlier video on praying for the Braves to make the World Series, this video lays out what I felt to be the Biblical basis for me to pray for Georgia to win the College Football National Championship.

The point of the video is not "pray for your favorite teams," but rather, to move prayers beyond "this is what I want" to "here's the Biblical basis for my prayers." I expect I'll still be rooting for the Atlanta Braves and the Georgia football team next year, but I'm less sure I'll have the same basis to pray for the same outcomes.

"Godliness with contentment is great gain." It is a mistake to slide into discontentment if one championship does not become a dynasty. I was content to see LSU win one Natty in my lifetime. I enjoyed the other two, but viewed them more as Lagnaippe. As Stanford is kind to my son who is in their Physics PhD program, I'm beginning to follow Stanford sports and so far have enjoyed their victories against ranked USC teams in football and basketball. I could even end up rooting for Georgia Tech or (gasp) Texas A&M if my younger son ends up in one of their physics programs.

gordon 2

There is no biblical basis for this. You just decide what you’re going to do and then invent some reason to rationalize your decision.

It’s time to move on from these infantile videos.

How bout that the phycological profile of learners are tempered due to our different ways of learning and our different ways studying and that the laboratory of the bible is not far fetched from the laboratory of physics for a dyed in the wool physics dude... for which physics is easy peasy...

LittleDrummerBoy

There is no biblical basis for this. You just decide what you’re going to do and then invent some reason to rationalize your decision.

If you can raise a specific objection to how a verse referenced in the video is used, I'd be happy to discuss it. Can you? Or are you just slinging insults without the willingness to back up your position with Scripture and sound reasoning?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I don't normally post on threads like this which at first glance and thought don't seem to be either spiritual or religious, but I'm reminded by something my wife often says to me. Never forget that the Lord is interested in every aspect and moment of our lives, even what might seem to be the most insignificant.

brutally honest

If you can raise a specific objection to how a verse referenced in the video is used, I'd be happy to discuss it. Can you? Or are you just slinging insults without the willingness to back up your position with Scripture and sound reasoning?

I sat through seven and a half excrutiating minutes of your video. (I hit "mute" the second I saw guitars. I'm not a glutton for punishment.)

I stand by my previous statement:

There's nothing in your video that an Alabama parent couldn't have said.

Or a Stanford parent.

Or a Michigan parent.

Or an Outer Mongolia Auto Diesel College parent.

brutally honest

How bout that the phycological profile of learners are tempered due to our different ways of learning and our different ways studying and that the laboratory of the bible is not far fetched from the laboratory of physics for a dyed in the wool physics dude... for which physics is easy peasy...

wut.gif

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
A lot of auburn fans were praying for GA to win, too.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

Pretty much. Yep. Instead of "Thy will be done", or heaven forbid, "The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want." it's Dear Santa,......and remember you promised.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
LOL. I can see you're new here. This is pretty much how it is here most of the time. A lot of members bent on stroking their own egos in one fashion or another and very little discussion on usable practical application or edification. There are some good posters here. Their post are pretty rare, but good stuff when they happen. Hang in and welcome.

Israel

BANNED
LOL. I can see you're new here. This is pretty much how it is here most of the time. A lot of members bent on stroking their own egos in one fashion or another and very little discussion on usable practical application or edification. There are some good posters here. Their post are pretty rare, but good stuff when they happen. Hang in and welcome.
Good thing yer fit to give the lay of the land to "newcomers"?

Last edited:

Angel Eyes

As long as you don’t pray for ungodly things, I think God is glad you are talking to him even if you’re prayer is not a typical subject. In The Book of Matthew Jesus said a mustard seed worth of faith could move a mountain. What is the down side of praying for a sporting events?

gordon 2

Ok. So let me try this again and I'm being nice and trying to be practical.

"You just decide what you’re going to do and then invent some reason to rationalize your decision."

The idea I understand above is that someone is trying to make scripture fit his actions... which might point out that thankfulness is not driven by the heart in relation to the subject of the thread.

My understanding of the post is that the man is thankful for the education and help some institution has provided to his family and that help goes far beyond monetary benefit that may occur because of the help. The prayer is that good will come to the institution in the form of a winning sports team--which is good publicity generally.

LDB happens to say that he is math driven. His whole family is math driven. In other words math and number orders are items of common sense to him. And if you'[ve noticed LDB has another calculator he is always manipulating in his mind and that is the bible.

LDB is thankful for a lot of things. He has escaped the captivity of living in a few states and Georgia seems to be fitted to him and it has blessed his family.

I'm not a deep bible thinker like LDB is as I would state generalities about his experience and thankfulness, but I think LDB is a natural deep bible thinker. He can go to the specifics like he can probably manipulate a slide rule. ( Which most people can't.)

It does not mean that because LDB is possibly made this way that he is not genuinely thankful for blessings and that his prayers would be towards returning them and therefore petition for good. In other words his motives are not foreign to the purposes put forward by scripture.

I'm surprised that using the bible to teach and using it to draw the picture of thankfulness to a mostly bible based spiritual forum would shock. But if it got tedious for some, patience regardless of where it is from might be the most practical. ( Now here I could post a half dozen bible verses on being patient vs righteous indignation... but I will not.)

LDB is a good example of the evangelical, he's a natural.

Last edited:

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Grew up in GA and lived in GA most of my life. Been a fan of GA Bulldawgs since age 6 ( roughly 55 years).

Been a Christian since 13 but struggled to learn how to live it until 23. In a word, it was ‘surrender’! Having learned that simple truth, true transformation began and has continued to this day!

If you are Bulldawg fan and gone without a championship for 41 years, it’s not hard to want to get God on your side for that. I get that! I’ve thought of that! I can even say I wanted to do that!

But…I need to think about what God wants! He honestly could care less about sporting events and I don’t think He gets into that at all! But what He does care about is your redemption through Christ! For all!!!

For me, when I asked the Lord about praying for this game, He got me to thinking about those fans, live and watching the tube, and the players playing and just how important each one is to Him!

And those are who I prayed for!!! And each one matters to Him!!!