Prayer 101- Why I'm Praying for the University of Georgia to Win the College Football Playoff

LittleDrummerBoy

Why do we often judge our brothers harshly when their love for their neighbors looks different from our own?

Was the command of Christ, "Do to others as a consensus among a certain group would have you do unto them?" Was the command of Christ, "Love your neighbor as someone else would want to be loved?"

Love does no harm to its neighbor. Beyond that, Jesus left a lot of room for each of us to have an individual approach. In fact, that individual approach is key to his central commands governing human relationships. Think about how you would want to be treated - do that for others. Think about how you would want love expressed toward you - do that for others.

That makes it hard to judge, since we cannot look into our brother's heart and see if he is loving his neighbor as himself. Yes, often harm is easy to recognize - and that's not love. But in matters where there is no harm - who am I to say of a brother, "That's not love, because that's not what I would do"? Yikes!

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Good thing yer fit to give the lay of the land to "newcomers"?

He struck me as catching on pretty quick. Not sure I told him anything that isn't obvious to passerbys.

SemperFiDawg

Why do we often judge our brothers harshly when their love for their neighbors looks different from our own?

I'm gonna need a little clarification on this one. Are you talking about your brothers who have paused church attendance out of love and concern for their elderly congregation, your brothers who still attend formal churches, your brothers who still thing drinking is destructive, or your brothers who don't smoke enough weed? Just which of those are you talking about? You've been critical of them all, so I just need you to be a bit more precise.

Most people, believers and non-believers, have a very keen sense of what and WHO is true and just, of who is sincere and who is misguided. It's no sin to exercise common sense, to stand against those who are misguided, or those who would mislead others.

Every single thread you have ever started and almost every post you have ever made shares one common theme: a condescending "I'm the teacher, you are the student tone, floating on a "look at me and what I do" undercurrent.
And yet, when you get called on some tripe, much of it judgmental in and of itself, you cloak yourself in the hypocrites Golden Tool, "Don't judge me until you get that lightered post out of your own eye."

Maybe, just maybe, that's why; people intuitively recognize selfishness and self-serving, and it's especially despised when it's done under the pretense of of holier-than- thou faith.

Israel

BANNED
He struck me as catching on pretty quick. Not sure I told him anything that isn't obvious to passerbys.
You know there are many folks of whom we are not, or barely, aware (because they may have posted very few times) but that read with some regularity?

And that all that may seem newcomer isn't?

For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

SemperFiDawg

You know there are many folks of whom we are not, or barely, aware (because they may have posted very few times) but that read with some regularity?

And that all that may seem newcomer isn't?

Your point?

gordon 2

Paul said to use him as an example in some cases. I don't think Paul was on a ego trip. So it must be ok to teach in some cases by the events in one's life. I never felt Paul was condescending when he talked about himself. But hey that's me.

brutally honest

Paul said to use him as an example in some cases. I don't think Paul was on a ego trip. So it must be ok to teach in some cases by the events in one's life. I never felt Paul was condescending when he talked about himself. But hey that's me.

Paul was personally chosen by Jesus Christ Himself to bear His word to the Gentiles. That’s no small thing.

LittleDrummerBoy

Paul was personally chosen by Jesus Christ Himself to bear His word to the Gentiles. That’s no small thing.

All believers are personally chosen by Jesus to bear his word to some group of people - most often it's smaller groups.