Pre-emergent for vegetable garden?

bnew17

What is a good pre emergent for a vegetable garden and how long do you have to wait on planting after applying the herbicide? Maybe something generic? I round up'd my garden a month ago and after everything was dead a few weeks later i plowed everything up.Its been plowed for a week now and no weeds are coming up.

meatkilla

Treflan works good. There are certain weeds/grasses that it will not keep out, but will definately keep down on your weeding. It has a list of vegetables that it can be used on and I noticed you planted alot of peas last year. With this granular herbicide you plant as soon as it is put out.

You have to be real careful using a pre-emergent on vegetables. Like meatkilla says, they will only work for specific vegetables.

I prefer to follow the routine you already have. Plow, let sit, then Round-up and plow again -- plant. That way you don't have to worry about any residual carry over from your pre-emergent.

bnew17

with your method 25-06 how long do you think i should wait between round up applications. If i round up my garden a month ago and plowed. when should i round up again?

I plan on planting just collard greens and maybe some lettuce and later in the year some english peas.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple brands of weed killer/emergent that you can get that can be applied right after your plants come up. I think Miracle Grow has one type as do another.

with your method 25-06 how long do you think i should wait between round up applications. If i round up my garden a month ago and plowed. when should i round up again?

I plan on planting just collard greens and maybe some lettuce and later in the year some english peas.

When do you Round-up again depends on your weed situation. Round-up only works on actively growing weeds. Applying it to plowed ground does no good. So ideally, you want some weed growth to get the most benefit. On something like peas, I plant right through the weeds (that have come back after I plowed) then just before I expect my seeds to emerge, hit the weeds with some Round-up.

I've used Preen and it works, but it has a residual effect on some vegetables. Seeds such as greens that are not sown very deeply seem to be most affected by the residual effect. I've used it where I knew I was going to follow plants with more plants --broccoli, then tomatoes.

shakey gizzard

Im not a big fan of putting any chemicals in the garden. A roll of black plastic will cook many weed seeds! Good luck!