Professional painter advice

bnew17

We built our house almost 3 years ago. It is on a slab with vinyl siding and a light greyish khaki colored stucco over the slab. During the construction process we got a lot of red clay stains on the stucco and it looks horrible. We have tried professional pressure washing companies to no avail. I recently saw some pictures of someone who had a similar situation and was able to paint the stucco to cover up the hideous stains. What type of paint should i look for to do this? I have a friend who has experience painting with a gun who can do it for me, I am just not sure the type of paint or the process. Thanks

Skeeter XRi

Have you tried washing with acid? I'm not a painter by any means but have been able to get a lot of red clay stains out using it. I've never seen a paint last very long in high wear area's, with the possible exception of epoxy concrete coating.

Good luck regardless!

jim

Just got done getting all of the red clay off of my siding. DONT wash with acid.

Get you some simple green, mix it strong, and spray it on and let it soak in for 10 (TEN FULL) minutes then wet it again and scrub brush it with a car brush on a pole...Then pressure wash. Then repeat as necessary.

If its as bad as mine, your in for a chore. TRUST ME as mine was only on there for a month before I got to it and it was a giant pain. It sucked. BAD.

Deerhead

Go by a pain store they can tell you which paint is best for stucco. We have painted the stucco at work several times. It looks good for several years.
We have not tried Simply Green on the stucco but I am sure it would clean it. SG is good stuff.

Good luck

bnew17

Yeah, I believe the pressure washer guy originally used Muriatic Acid and it did take a very light layer of the stain off, but still very very much visable. It was at that point he threw up his hands and said, I give up. From what I have read about clay stains, is once they set, they are there for good. If I were to give any advice to a new homeowner, It would be to put down pine straw immediately! I had never dealt with red clay stains on a house before so I assumed I would be able to pressure wash it off. lol.

These stains have been set in since August 2019, and it had been about a year and a half before the pressure washer guy tried it.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I would use sherwin williams exterior super paint, its a primer and finish product. I wouldn't let just anyone with a spray gun paint on my house, especially if they couldn't recommend a good product. Also, depending on if its real porous, you may have to roll it into the pores with a thick nap. I would use a satin sheen as it will stay clean longer and more uv protection v/s a flat sheen.

K Stamey

I've had customers houses do this. Richard's make a great concrete stain that works on stucco. The only place besides online that I have found it is The paint store in clayton.

bany

The super paint porch and concrete or floor and cement or whatever they call it this week is excellent stuff.
If someone has tried plenty and acid too it’s not coming out!

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Try iron out to remove the stain. Make sure the stucco is clean and use a deep knap roller or spray and back roll

This is what my wife washes kids softball and baseball pants in. It works but smells like what I’d imagine a meth lab smells like.