Propane Tank For House

Buckman18

Need some pointers...

I'm building a house in Union County (Young Harris), and its time to get the propane tank. Im buying and not renting.

Ive called a couple of local gas companies around for quotes. My goodness what a price shock!!!

250 gallon tanks ~$2700
320 gallon tanks ~$3500
500 gallon tanks ~$4700

INSANE!

A quick Google search really doesn't help, but I do see ads in Pennsylvania for tanks less than half these prices.

I'll gladly take a trailer and make a day trip if I need to, but would obviously rather not. How much are tanks in other areas of GA? Where can I find a better deal?

300 Mag

I pay $50 a year rental on a 300 gallon in middle GA, takes a long time to get to you quoted purchase price.

2dye4

I also pay $50.00 a year for rent on mine at my hunting cabin. Only thing about that is you have to buy from the gas company you rent from.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Maybe try that face book market place? I know you're probably not on there but you can browse and someone you know who is on there can get contact info for you if you find a deal.

Mars

I considered buying so I could Bury it but they told the purchase price and said they would replace the tank and the gas in it if there was ever a problem if I rented from them so that's why I chose to rent for $50 a year.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I think I inherited an old deal. My grandparents have had the tank for my whole life and I think the existing contract just transferred to me when they died.
I was just about to say that's the way it happened when I inherited my Grandparents house, not the same deal you've got but the contract transferred.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I had the same “sticker shock” that you have when I was shopping for one for my workshop. I made a deal with a local family owned propane company for a reconditioned 250 gallon tank. It was less than half the new tank price. I am pleased with the deal,I like owning my own tanks and buying from who I want. That’s just the way I worked it out, good luck, prices have gone crazy!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
if you are burying it , you have to buy. No one rents underground tanks. I bought a 500 gallon about 8 years back, installed for 1400. I just bought a used 250 tank to put in the back yard, behind a wall, to run my whole house generator. If you rent a tank here, LP is > 2.90 a gallon. If you own your tank, it is ~ 1.60

sbroadwell

This was a little over 20 years ago, so much has changed I reckon. When we first moved to the country I hooked up with a propane company (one of the biggest I guess, name starts with "A"). They would only let me rent a 250 gallon one. I had no clue what size I needed, never having propane. Well, I have three furnaces, water heater, and a big ole 6 burner gas stove with a griddle. I was going through that much gas in less than a month in the winter. A couple of times, it ran out and I had to wait a couple of days. Apparently chicken houses have priority.

So I fired them, contacted a smaller local company. They sold me a refurbished 750 gallon tank and I've used them ever since. Just in the last year they came and put an internet connected gizmo on the tank. I can tell at any time on my phone the propane level, and they can too.

K80Shooter

I might be wrong but don't they have to be inspected after they are so old? What's the cost of that if there is one?

I also rent mine. The next to last company that I was with wanted to charge me a $120 inspection fee after I accidently let it run out of gas. I changed companies to avoid that fee and got cheaper gas and rental rates.

kayaksteve

I wouldn’t doubt most companies will want to do an “inspection” before they fill a tank they’ve never filled.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
if the tank is empty, they have to run a leak down test on it before they can fill it, to make sure no leaks are in the house. Local companies charge anywhere from 20 to 60 dollars to do that.