Propane Tank For House

Oldstick

I know it is probably a lot different from the big house sized tanks, but most of the local places around here will refuse to refill even a small 20 lb grill tank, if the date stamped on it is expired. Which is not but a few years after you buy it new. You either have to pay to have it reinspected/refurbished with a new date stamp applied or buy or new tank. Sometimes you come out better just using one of the tank exchange services at the convenience or big box stores just extend it a few more years.

A government mandated rip off if you ask me and probably just a matter of time before it moves into the large tank commercial/residential use arena if it hasn't already.

ucfireman

if you are burying it , you have to buy. No one rents underground tanks. I bought a 500 gallon about 8 years back, installed for 1400. I just bought a used 250 tank to put in the back yard, behind a wall, to run my whole house generator. If you rent a tank here, LP is > 2.90 a gallon. If you own your tank, it is ~ 1.60
I got a 500 gal tank that is buried, it was put in by the previous owner.
When I bought the house she told me she used Blossman.
I figured she/I owned the tank and called the local service.
I got a letter in the mail a few months later from Blossman stating the tank was a rental and I could pay 100 (if I remember right) for a lifetime rental or 50 (I think) a year for rental.
They claimed they would take the tank out, I doubt they would have.
I paid the 100 and got the lifetime rental.
I usually call around and check prices of 3-4 companies before I fill up and Blossman is usually the same price or sometimes cheaper.
I also pay monthly to build up a balance and then they take the fee from the balance when they fill. Hurts a little less.
They will also come every few months to top off so you never run out if you want them to.
I just have a furnace and water heater and dont use but about 300 gal a year.

Have no idea the price of a new one,

ugajay

Need some pointers...

I'm building a house in Union County (Young Harris), and its time to get the propane tank. Im buying and not renting.

Ive called a couple of local gas companies around for quotes. My goodness what a price shock!!!

250 gallon tanks ~$2700
320 gallon tanks ~$3500
500 gallon tanks ~$4700

INSANE!

A quick Google search really doesn't help, but I do see ads in Pennsylvania for tanks less than half these prices.

I'll gladly take a trailer and make a day trip if I need to, but would obviously rather not. How much are tanks in other areas of GA? Where can I find a better deal?
What all do you have that's gonna be on propane?

Baroque Brass

if you are burying it , you have to buy. No one rents underground tanks. I bought a 500 gallon about 8 years back, installed for 1400. I just bought a used 250 tank to put in the back yard, behind a wall, to run my whole house generator. If you rent a tank here, LP is > 2.90 a gallon. If you own your tank, it is ~ 1.60
Last gas delivered to me in Grady county was $3.89/gallon and I rent the tank from the supplier. Tank rent is about $7/month. I looked at going with another company but it was going to cost $21/month to rent and $800 up front to change over, just to save .50 cents per gallon. We use about 100 gallons per year to heat water and cook, more if my bride uses the gas logs or the generator runs. I’d never be back on the plus side of that deal.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Need some pointers...

I'm building a house in Union County (Young Harris), and its time to get the propane tank. Im buying and not renting.

Ive called a couple of local gas companies around for quotes. My goodness what a price shock!!!

250 gallon tanks ~$2700
320 gallon tanks ~$3500
500 gallon tanks ~$4700

INSANE!

A quick Google search really doesn't help, but I do see ads in Pennsylvania for tanks less than half these prices.

I'll gladly take a trailer and make a day trip if I need to, but would obviously rather not. How much are tanks in other areas of GA? Where can I find a better deal?
I think we bought the last available 500 gallon tank in the tri-state area in 2020. We had to search high and low to find it, but I want to say it was around $2200. When brother in law built a year later, there were none to be found. I reckon that's where you are now.

Being able to shop around for propane allows savings that have already paid for the tank.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Whichever way you go, make sure the gas line from the tank to the house comes out of the ground before penetrating wall/foundation.

SwampMoss

I have a 1000 gallon buried. One thing is make sure to fill up every year. I went 2 years then they charged for an inspection to refill!

flynlow

Student at the Hard Knock School of Aerodynamics
Check with Budget out of Suches if you haven't already. They are one of the few remaining locally owned propane suppliers that haven't been bought out by Amerigas.

Meriwether Mike

I pay rental on a 250 gallon tank in Blue Ridge. I am a part time resident so always fill up in July for the next Winter. The rental is $50 a year.

BeerThirty

Sometimes you come out better just using one of the tank exchange services at the convenience or big box stores just extend it a few more years.
That's what I do for my smaller tanks. When it starts getting close to expiration, I take it to a Home Depot and look for a newer exchange. I've gotten brand new exchanges a time or two, doing that.

Latest posts