Public access to wade

Davem

I haven't done any trout fishing but thought I might try it. My issue is access. Some streams require a float trip, others are bordered by private land, etc. For a "newbie" that wants to park his vehicle and wade up or down a stream that is wadable and has room to cast- any recommendations? Thanks.

westcobbdog

I haven't done any trout fishing but thought I might try it. My issue is access. Some streams require a float trip, others are bordered by private land, etc. For a "newbie" that wants to park his vehicle and wade up or down a stream that is wadable and has room to cast- any recommendations? Thanks.
Reference the Ga Interactive trout map
posted online. Before the internet and still today a valuable tool is the printed folding color map of the chattahoochee NF, available for sale at ranger district stations. Referencing it the last 40 plus yrs has allowed me to find some great tucked away trout and camping spots. Get one and learn to read it, you can easily get off the beaten path and also know your way back.

TomC

IMO your best choice is to head up to the Tocccoa River near Blue Ridge which is my favorite fly fishing spot in GA. Check water release schedules at the dam but start out fishing early in the morning just below the dam, mid to late morning drive down and fish at the Bridge at Curtis Switch and then finish up the day at Tammen Park. In the past this has always kept me ahead of the water release. Have had some OK to "middlin" type fishing days up there but also some phenomenal days. Nice and wide for the newbie learning to fly fish and good wadable water. There is also good fishing on the Toccoa River up above the lake but I've always preferred below the dam. If you have a tent and want to stay a couple days the Toccoa Valley Campground is right on the river up above the lake and a great place to camp!

Woodshound

Map study of public lands + boots on the ground + a whole lot of patience. Lot of creeks look great on paper but are empty of trout, lot of creeks look great on paper and are full of trout but appear empty because something's not right (light, timing, temps, offering), and a lot of two-step-wide glorified trickles have surprising amounts of fish.

The Jacobs book is a solid jumping off point.

Latest posts