Public land hog hunting

Tabg

Hey every one just moved down to Georgia and questions about hog hunting on public land the game refs are a little confusing to me and from what I gather can only hunt hogs during an open season and can only use what season for? Like if go out now during small game I’m only allowed to use my .223 and be illegal to use my 6.5 grinder? And also am I allowed to hunt with my pistol or do I have to have a carry license?

35 Whelen

Shotguns would also be legal, however, only shot shell size 3.5 inches or smaller in length with No. 2 or smaller shot.

Tabg

You can't use a 223 or anything centerfire. No pistol unless it's a 22. Like stated above, rimfire, muzzleloader, or archery only.

I talked to a warden and he showed me where it says for small game it’s 22rim fire and small/ or .17 center fire and larger, he said could even use my 6.5 and .223 for hogs during small game season, same with pistols. It was a fairly confusing contradiction in the regs

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I talked to a warden and he showed me where it says for small game it’s 22rim fire and small/ or .17 center fire and larger, he said could even use my 6.5 and .223 for hogs during small game season, same with pistols. It was a fairly confusing contradiction in the regs

Sounds like he was misinformed, this was a recent change that started this season. Page 42:

FERAL HOGS may be taken anytime a WMA is open to hunting, but hunters may only use weapons legal for the species for which the area is open. During small game hunts and dates, centerfire firearms are not allowed.