Push button reel advice/suggestions

cowhornedspike

Does anyone know of a good quality push button reel that works well with braided line?

Probably needs to be level-wind and large. Good drag.

Wanting to use it on large catfish and possibly gator hunting in the future and so far my experience with the push button reels (Zebco 888 etc.) has been that the braid buries down into itself and binds up to make it very hard to cast after each "heavy fight" encounter. Have to strip out a bunch of line before it will work again and obviously that also creates an issue if the drag needs to pull during the fight.

TIA...

hopper

Does anyone know of a good quality push button reel that works well with braided line?

Probably needs to be level-wind and large. Good drag.

Wanting to use it on large catfish and possibly gator hunting in the future and so far my experience with the push button reels (Zebco 888 etc.) has been that the braid buries down into itself and binds up to make it very hard to cast after each "heavy fight" encounter. Have to strip out a bunch of line before it will work again and obviously that also creates an issue if the drag needs to pull during the fight.

TIA...
I would say a bigger spinning reel. One quest about the braid on the 888. Are you spooling with mono backer and spooling the braid tight? I've had that issue with braid back in the day when I spooled it to loose

KKrueger

Maybe see what some of the bow fishermen are using for larger fish. I think the spincast type real is what they are going with, along with heavy braided lines.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
@cowhornedspike check out bowfishing spincast reels. Here is one with 150 lb line prespooled on it;

Wow! There ya go! At $85 it doesn’t seem too expensive either.