question about minerals

papachaz

Unlawful Activities (General Hunting)

Hunt, shoot, kill, or wound any farmed deer (e.g. elk, red deer, fallow deer, sika deer, or axis deer) or exotic wild animal (e.g. farmed deer, mouflon sheep, Barbary sheep [aoudad], antelope, etc.) held under a wild animal license for enjoyment, gain, amusement, or sport.Hunting while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.Use of any pitfall, deadfall, snare, catch, trap, net, exposed salt or minerals, live decoy, or baited hook to take game species.

I know it says this, but then on page 23, it says:

Summary of Georgia’s Laws & Regulations Pertaining to
Bait and the Taking of Game & Feral Hogs Over Bait
Statewide*
It is unlawful for any person to hunt any game
animal (except as noted below) or game bird
upon, over, around, or near any place where
any corn, wheat, or other grains, salts, apples,
or other feed or bait has been placed, exposed,
deposited, distributed, or scattered so as to
constitute a lure, attraction, or enticement
to such game animals or game birds.
It shall
also be unlawful to hunt any game animal or
game bird upon, over, around, or near any such
place for a period of 10 days following complete
removal of all such feed or bait.

The placing of any feed or bait and the
hunting of any game or feral hog over such
feed or bait on Wildlife Management Areas is
prohibited.
Any person who takes any big game, other
than in accordance with the following exceptions,
shall upon conviction be guilty of a misdemeanor
of a high and aggravated nature and
subject to a fine up to $5,000 or imprisonment
up to 12 months, or both.
The DNR Board may by rule or regulation
restrict the feeding, baiting, or hunting of
deer and/or feral hogs upon, over, around or
near such feed or bait in any county and any
adjoining county, upon documented occurrence
of a communicable disease in deer in
such county. No person shall feed, bait or hunt
deer and/or feral hogs in violation of any such
restriction imposed. DNR will notify current
licensed hunters by mail or electronic means
within a restricted county. DNR may place
signs to give such notice of restrictions.

Exceptions for Deer
(Zone Limited)
In the Southern Deer Zone, deer may be
hunted upon, around, over or near any
feed or bait on private lands provided
such person has written permission of the
landowner.
Any such feed or bait shall not
be placed in a manner as to cause hunting
on an adjacent property to be prohibited.
The placing of any feed or bait and the
hunting of deer over such feed or bait on
any state or federal lands is prohibited.

• In the Northern Deer Zone, it is unlawful to
hunt deer upon, around, over or near any
feed or bait when the hunter is less than
200 yards away or within sight of such
feed or bait. Any such feed shall not be
placed in a manner as to cause hunting on
an adjacent property to be prohibited. The
placing of any feed or bait and the hunting
of deer over such feed or bait on any state
or federal lands is prohibited.
Exceptions for Feral
Hogs (Statewide)
Feral hogs may be hunted upon, around, over
or near any feed or bait on private lands year
round provided that any such feed or bait is not
placed within 50 yards of any property ownership
boundary. Any such feed or bait shall not
be placed in a manner as to cause hunting on
an adjacent property to be prohibited.

so in the northern zone, if you put it out, you better not hunt within 200 yards of it. in the southern zone, if you have written permission from the land owner, you can put it out and hunt over it.

seems they need to sort out the wording a little bit, it does seem to contradict itself. so now you have prompted me to ask, if you dig a hole, spread it in the hole, cover it back with dirt, it's out of sight, but its still there. so you have to hunt at least 200 yards away.

and, i'm betting this thread gets closed down or merged into the baiting thread before morning

wildlifepro

Banned
re minerals

Are deer still hitting them ? And is deer cane just minerals or is it an attractant? Whats the difference in black magic and regular deer cane. The reason im so curious about is i want to put something in front of my cameras that dont say "HEY THERE IS A CAMERA OVER HERE STEAL ME" cause most of the time corn=camera iv been looking at all this acorn rage crush rub slime beet juice crap but im skeptical. What is your experience with some of this or what do you use ?

Hey Glock. Re deer cain. The blocks are just sodium hydrocloride . Salt with flavoring. They as much of the products promoted on the market today. I will log on from my laptop tomorrow and give you the info you need on minerals for deer and what they need to make a difference.

wildlifepro

Banned
I still have not made it back home yet so Ill do the best I can for info for you on the phone. The company that sells the deer cain and others is in the attractants business and not health or nutrition.Its salt with sone flavoring and a bare amount of trace elements. Trace meaning just a small amount.The product can offer you some trail cam pics or possible shot oppertunity but will not offer your deer any form of noticable health or nutrition gains The vast majority of the products on store shelves, tv shows or in magazines are attractants. Can they call it a deer mineral ? Well yes if its an element from the ground and the animal consumes it you can call it what ever you want in legal terms.But are the vast majority really true deer minersls? No and most are far from it. Price points and sales come first. There are only a hand full of companies that really do make a complete,balance and true species specific deer mineral.When you see people like lakoskys or waddells talking about a deer mineral , attractant, corn coat, rubline slime its in a commercial. They are good people but get a check to say what the sponsor or company wants them to.Its not by their own scienticic research or data. Its sales and marketing. Alot of guys have jumped on the attractants bandwagon the past 7years as they offer high profit returns on very cheap stuff. About a dozen of the companies selling what they call a deer mineral will have 47% to as much as 68% salt with very cheap and low absorbtion rate macro/ micro nutrients. When you see calcium citrate or calcium carbonate they are two of the chrapedt forms of calcium. Calcium carbonate( Tums) thats what your getting. and onky about 18% absorbtion rate.Deer need at least 16% calcium to really make a difference and has to be balanced by phosporus to work. Dical with calcium orotate added is great.These companied dont put in top quality or complete ratios with vitamins probiotics etc as it takes away from their bottom line. Alot of these companies make a 350 to 400) % mark up on some of their products. So as another poster said they are attractants for hunters,well he was right !! Minerals do work for deer but they need to be complete and in balance with each other. But the rack rock trophy rock deer cain whitetail institute lucky buck products are made fi
or high profit returns with not much to offer in the way of true health or nutritional gains for your deer. I see guys every year pour out bags of attractants and if a 120 buck comes to the site or the deer digs a hole in the ground its automatically the best product in the world.Will you get cam pics or possible shot opportunities a good chance you will but your just short changing your deer and yourself. And remember turkeys love good quality minerals also on your property.I hope this helped out some and pkease excuse tany bad spelling , Kinda hard typing all this from the phone.lol..

Last edited:

flyfisher007

I have talked to GW's and they all have told me if it is not in solid form where they can see it, such as powder, Block, granuales, etc, then it is legal. I asked if the liquid deer cane was ok and they all said yes. The powder mineral would need to be buried to be legal, the rain.....if we get any.....will make it seep out and draw in the deer. I have had deer hitting mine but they are all night pics. Other have said that deer don't mess with them much in the fall.

But to me finding a few oaks with a good acorn crop or a throw and grow food plot works better than the lick during season

Last edited:

wildlifepro

Banned
Hey Eglock, The two best companies that have top line products that are complete balanced and in correct ratios for deer are Biotech Research and Mass Nutrition deer feeds and minerals. They both have first hand cervid( deer) nutrition backgrounds. Biotech is in Wisconsion and Mass Nutrition has a office in NC And Miss.Both companies use organic/chelated products . Complete vitamin and probiotics packs. Mass nutrition also has antiparisitics for removing parasites, worms and aid greatly in keeping ticks off deer . I think biotech also may add antiparisitics but not sure. But those are about the top two companies that put health and nutrition before price.

PappyHoel

I've had luck by just pouring 50 lbs of salt out and letting it leech into the dirt. They will dig a huge hole eating the dirt, year round.

The deer in my avatar was standing over a mature salt lick.