Question for the more seasoned quail hunters

spencer12

This year I began the journey of raising a new puppy. She is a German shorthaired pointer and is coming along nicely. She is currently 6 months old and is progressing very steadily. She has been introduced to birds and can’t get enough of them.

I like to take her on walks as much as possible normally with a check chord (50 ft) as I’m afraid to let her loose in the pines this early in the year for fear of a snake bite.

Anyways, a few weekends ago I spotted a few quail 6-8 or so. We were upwind so she did not smell them. I tried my best to get behind them without spoiling them and sure enough her little nose began working and soon we were headed straight into the thick stuff after them. However she immediately led me straight to a gopher tortoise hole which I literally had to drag her out of. My question is will quail use these gopher tortoise holes as a means of escape? I know other species use them but never thought about quail.

She took the same route the quail were on but I’m not sure if she was just interested in the hole or the quail were in there.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I wouldn’t consider myself a seasoned quail hunter but use to chase them a good bit back several years ago . We hunted where gopher holes were pretty common and I’d guess the birds didn’t go in the hole . Good luck with your dog

spring

I've mostly seen quail go down in assorted holes when you're going after one that has been shot but can still run.... Can't say I've ever seen any that go in a hole vs flying away.....

dslc6487

Beautiful dog, sir. When I was a young man, some of my fondest memories are related to my bird dogs and quail. I am now 76 years old and not able to hunt.
That was when we had quail in middle Georgia. And, that was many years ago.
Good luck with your young pup...

Rebel's Dad

She was probably just smelling the tortoise. Young dogs seem to be fascinated with them. It was the first thing two of my dogs ever pointed as youngsters.

She's a looker.

spring

They do sometimes like these things. Here's one my French Brits found a couple of months ago. My lab loves box turtles. He'll carry one around in his mouth for a mile or two sometimes when he's running while I drive around my farm.

tempImagetQmLAb.jpg