Question for you dog trainers

jbogg

I posed this question in the "on topic" section without many responses so I'm hoping some of you bird hunters might help. I started hunting public mountain land last year for deer/bear/and hogs. I am usually a 1 - 3 mile hike from the truck so I hunt from the ground since toting a treestand up those mountains isn't going to happen. I am wanting to know if a dog could be trained to sit with me on the ground for several hours while I hunt. It would be critical that it remain quiet and still even as wild game approached within Bow range. I like the idea of a companion dog while I hunt that could also blood trail if necessary after the shot. Most of my hunting is afternoons and evenings, and I have already struggled to find a couple of hogs in those laurel thickets after dark. I know duck dogs will sit still and quiet during a hunt, but not sure if they could sit for several hours at a time. I would love to find a young dog already trained as we do not want to go through the puppy stage again. Is what I am wanting doable? And if so, what breeds would you recommend?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I do not have a dog training suggestion for you, but I do have an idea. If you decide to do this you might consider using a smaller breed of dog and making a "dog house" to help hide the dog's natural movements. Think pup tent. All you would need to carry would be a piece of material, some cordage, and small aluminum stakes.

OEB0630

I think the "bow range" part of the equation would be the trickiest. Remembering the game you seek to harvest have the same caliber of nose as the dog...I am thinking the two of you would be scented before approaching bow range.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
A buddy used his Jack Russell to blood trail deer and hogs. His big game guide in Africa used Jacks to track blood trails. In fact, his dog was shipped from Africa after the guide's dog gave birth. However, Jack Russell and "keep still" are difficult to say in the same sentence. Gil

jbogg

Thanks for the replies. I like Jack Russell's and as stated they are great trackers, but they are a ball of energy and probably not well suited for sitting still for hours. As far as potentially being winded by an approaching animal, that's probably going to happen regardless of weather a dog is with me or not if I am upwind of the game animal. There is no way to hike those hills during Bow season without sweating buckets. Another forum member recommended checking out the "deer indicating" dogs on YouTube which looks very interesting, but not what I have in mind. I typically find a good area and then sit tight in one spot for 3-5 hours just like hunting out of a tree stand, but I am on the ground with a comfortable hammock seat. I don't have the patience to move slow enough to be a good still hunter, but I have no problem sitting for half a day in one spot.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
What you describe you want sounds like a "turkey dog". Turkey dogs not only bust up a fall flock for calling back, but are small dogs trained to remain still and hidden while the hunter waits for birds to return to the call. Here's a start:
http://www.turkeydog.org/

StevePickard

I have a Field Bred English Cocker Spaniel that I trained to track and find deer last year. He found 3 last year. He is steady in the duck blind and in the dove field, but steady while getting a deer close enough for a bow kill may be a little difficult, but the Cockers are extremely smart and learn quickly. I'm currently working on his AKC Master Title and he will have to sit immediately upon flushing a bird, so if a flushing dog full of drive can be trained to sit upon flushing a bird and not go for the retrieve until sent, more than likely one could be trained to sit still while a deer approaches. They are small in size, 30 pounds or less, and come in all colors, so getting one that has a color suitable to remaining hidden should not be a problem. I breed and raise Brittanys and love them to death, but my Cocker is my constant companion. It is a great little breed! I initially took him in to do "started" dog training on him and then to sell him as a started dog. As a 4 month old puppy, he would sit, or lay beside my chair while I worked on the computer for and unbelievable length of time. After about a week of this behavior, there was no way I could let him go! They love to be close to their Master! I'd suggest looking into a Cocker.
Steve Pickard