Quota hunt

ucfireman

Got chose for Quail hunt. I believe I can bring a few folks.
I don't have dogs, would like to find someone with dogs that would like to hunt with me.
I still need to research how many I can bring and where this place is.

Lanahassee Creek VPA - 1st Hunt 11/23/2019 11/23/2019

PM please.

Silvereyes

You can have 3 people per party. I have never hunted the property, but I am sure someone will chime in with advise. Manage expectations, put dogs on the ground and walk the souls out of your boots.

ucfireman

Looks like no one is interested. I thought that quail hunters would be jumping at the bit to have a place to run their dogs. I was wrong.

Anyone with a dog or 2 and a friend, it would be just me so that would make 3.

Mark K

Banned
Just curious why you put in for a quail hunt without having dogs or horses and no idea where the place is?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Happens every year.

ucfireman

Just curious why you put in for a quail hunt without having dogs or horses and no idea where the place is?

Thought it would be a decent way to meet folk with similar interests. See a new place and give someone else the opportunity to hunt if they had not been chosen.

Sorry if I upset you. I also put in for the alligator quota but didn't get chosen. I have 11 points so when I decide to go I can and which ever zone I want. I will probably ask then too.

I really didn't expect to get chosen but I did ( i have not been in the past) (I guess not many put in for it as I didn't wager any points), so I thought I would ask if anyone was interested.

And to head off any comment, yes I know you can apply for points only.

sportsman94

Thought it would be a decent way to meet folk with similar interests. See a new place and give someone else the opportunity to hunt if they had not been chosen.

Sorry if I upset you. I also put in for the alligator quota but didn't get chosen. I have 11 points so when I decide to go I can and which ever zone I want. I will probably ask then too.

I really didn't expect to get chosen but I did ( i have not been in the past) (I guess not many put in for it as I didn't wager any points), so I thought I would ask if anyone was interested.

And to head off any comment, yes I know you can apply for points only.

I am putting in for quail hunts for the same reason. I don’t have any Means to do it and would love to test it out. I’ll be looking for folks with dogs just as soon as I get drawn too. I think it’s a great thing to be able to do so that we could experience a new discipline of hunting.

Mark K

Banned
Different mindsets I guess. I look at it as taking away from those that do have the resources and know all about it.
It would be like me putting in for a Gator hunt...and yeah I have several points, but Input in for points only. When I get ready to cash them in I’ll contact someone more experienced with it and let them know of my intentions and if drawn could they help or guide...of the answer is yes I’ll submit. If the answer is no, then I’ll hold off or look for someone else. I’d never put in unprepared or for an area I had no clue about.
And most quail hunters are very particular about who’s shooting over their dogs and who they’re hunting with. Good luck.

trad bow

My pup is just fourteen months old and definitely a work in progress. Unless I’m hunting with a known commodity at this point in his career I have to be careful how and who I hunt with. If you want to tag along on a hunt I must forewarn anyone that I hunt public land and just not that many coveys around anymore. Contacts will be few and far between and may take several hunts to get into a covey or two. That’s why most old quail hunters target the woodcock migration now.

ucfireman

I do understand the need to be safe around the dogs. And also the low numbers of birds these days. Truly I am more interested in watching the dogs work and pick brains than shooting birds. Seeing a flush or two and hopefully a retrieve is all I'm after. I would be just as content letting the dog owners hunt and me just be there.
I just cannot, or wont pay hundreds for a plantation hunt. Nothing against anyone who does, I just want to try in on public land first.

trad bow

All my mothers people are from Pitts. It is usually late in the season when I go down for a couple of weeks and hunt. If you are truly interested I’ll contact you when I head down.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
And most quail hunters are very particular about who’s shooting over their dogs and who they’re hunting with. Good luck.
Amen. I once pulled my dogs out of a hunt and drove 2 hours back home after a young gunner kept pointing his gun at my dogs. I declined making a teaching point out of risking one of dogs getting shot. Too many horror stories of dogs getting shot by quail hunters. Gil

Silvereyes

I learned a lot from hunting with members on this forum. I got serious into quail hunting after going with a friend on a quota hunt in di-lane. I think its a great way to get into the sport by putting into quota hunts and reaching out to the forum for some dog help. I would accept his offer but sadly I cannot this year ( My wife's due date is way to close to the hunt dates). I would load my dog up in the minute if someone was unsafe, but for the most part I find everyone on this forum to be open to learning and getting involved in the sport.

coachdoug87

I understand the concern about the dogs, but I also like the idea of getting new people into the sport. I hope after you hunt with other people, you will get a dog or two.
There is nothing quite like it

Coach K

It is good that you put in for a quota hunt. Every year I provide dog power for folks that get picked for quota hunts. Unfortunately, I cannot make that date, or would have loved to hunt with you.