Rapala Scatter Rap

Coenen

Bought the crank and the shad varieties in size 7 at Dick's yesterday, got them both in BB Herring, and one in Rapala's classic "minnow" pattern.

Took them down to the dock tonight just to see how they looked and what they did in the water. The Crank is a bit heavier and has a bit wider wobble. The shad has a pretty tight wobble, and seemed (to me at least) to run a bit deeper. The crank, being slightly heavier was easier to cast.

Do they work? The proof was in the pudding, the crank got bit after about 5 minutes. Not a huge fish, but a fish nonetheless, that'll keep this bait in the front of my mind for sure.

I still need to spend some time getting used to the retrieve though. It's definitely the sort of bait that you can make do a lot of different stuff just by varying retrieve speed and twitch cadence etc. To my eye it looks like a fish catcher.

wcbjr

The shad/blueback spawn is on . The bass are eating small crankbaits with abandon . Keeping hybrids and strikers from hitting is impossible . Has the Scatter Rap caught any fish ?

Geffellz18

Walmart in Oakwood had a pretty full siderack of them in most colors/styles today. I picked up 2 of them. They were $7.96/each. There were none in the basic section with the other rapala lures.

Bought one last week and finally used it this morning. Got 5 fish in 26 minutes, 2 bass and 3 crappie. Went back to Academy sports and bought 4 more. I prefer the classic Silver to the other colors. Thought they were on the pricey side until I remembered I used to spend close to $100 on single marlin lures.

BigGreenGoblin

I have one in the tackle box. I have yet to catch one on it.

I understand the concept but I'm not a fan, regular shad raps have produced more for me.

TroutManJoe

My baithouse man keeps trying to sell me a few to try in the river for trout... which love floaters jointed and countdowns... Anyone ever used em for anything but bass?

Tmpr111

My baithouse man keeps trying to sell me a few to try in the river for trout... which love floaters jointed and countdowns... Anyone ever used em for anything but bass?

Yes, the Countdown version.

SCRCD07 - 2-3/4", 1/8 oz.

Couldn't load pic. But the Trout and Blueback colors

Eugene Stinson

I have used the crank and the raps. I like the raps ok but they have to be reeled so slow to make run right. The cranks i don't like at all. I have seen some home made crank that will hunt like nobodies business with a straight bill. These don't hunt enough to make me buy any more. I have caught fish on the scatter raps.

Inline6

I agree with Eugene. They don't have as much erratic action as I thought they would have. I have not caught as many fish with the scatter series as their original counterparts. The traditional squarebill cranks have far out produced fish for myself. I like the idea of them and they seem to be a well made lure like the rest of the Rapala line.

Maybe it is like every other lure on the market it takes certain technique and a lot of water time to figure out the best way/time to fish this style lure.