Rattlesnake in ladder stand.

Pneumothorax

Thank god that snake did not strike when your head poked up over the seat. Thanks for the post to educate us all.

Yup! I can't even imagine the misery of being bitten in the face by a rattlesnake.

I used to figure if I make it to the stand without stepping on one I'm clear. This changes that a little. Thanks for posting.

GA DAWG

Dang. I never look there. Now I gotta start looking. Glad your ok man.

Luckybuck

Wow, this puts some creditability into what I experienced around 45 years ago deer hunting that nobody believed. I had a deer stand in a poplar tree that was split near the ground forming basically two trees. I had hunter spikes in the tree and would step up about where the tree split. A small rattlesnake was in the fork of the tree and I stepped over top of it. My buddies said no it was probably some other snake you saw and not a rattler off the ground. Reading this mans report makes me think that it was a rattle snake like I first thought. I went on up higher in the tree as the snake fell to the ground. I knew cottonmouths could climb way up in the bushes off the ground because of seeing them in overhand on the river banks in SE Louisiana.

bigelow

Executive Chef at Billy's Bistro
Wow opened my eyes. Once I get to the stand I turn my light off not any more.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
What is an oak snake?

T

kathy1959

Thanks for sharing I always just climb up and go on in my box stand I will look from now on....

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
As if I wasn't chicken enough already when it comes to SNAKES!!!
I didn't know rattlers would climb like that either.

billy62green

As if I wasn't chicken enough already when it comes to SNAKES!!!
I didn't know rattlers would climb like that either.

I'm always glad during deer season when we have that first frost and those things find a hole to get in and disappear. We had a big frost in Carroll County last night. Maybe we're done with them until next Spring!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I'm always glad during deer season when we have that first frost and those things find a hole to get in and disappear. We had a big frost in Carroll County last night. Maybe we're done with them until next Spring!

Don`t count on it. Even in the dead of winter, they`ll come out to sun.

jesnic

We have a loc on stand that we call the snake stand. About three years ago, one of our hunters went to sit it in the afternoon. He climbed the sticks and reached over to fold down up the seat and there was a 3 ft. rattlesnake on the seat. He flipped it off with an arrow.

REDFOXJR

Glad nobody got hurt, had a buddy tell me once he watched a snake climb a tree next to him to the same height he was, he was in a climber. Ever since I always check before I climb all the way up.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I know snakes can climb, but makes me wonder if a hawk or owl caught the snake an perched up on the ladder with it, and was spooked off leaving the snake there. That or you've made someone really angry recently. ::ke: :bounce:

Wallhanger

Couple of years ago, when it was real wet, I moved a ladder stand that had a Copperhead on the platform. Didn't see it til I was stepping on the foot platform as I was going to release the strap from the tree. Three weeks later, my son who was hunting by himself for the first year, calls me on the radio to say there was a snake in the stand with him. He describes it to me and I race 3 miles in a beat up old Samurai to remove another Copperhead from a different stand.

Brianf

I have also found a copperhead in a ladder stand. Was coiled up under the pad. But just think of all the GON'ers that will be inspecting their stands tomorrow morning. Great reminder post!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I probably spooked every deer within 10 miles of me this morning thoroughly checking my stand before I got in it!

:hair: :hair:

deerhuntingdawg

Thats unreal. I'll sure check my stands for I climb in them!!

BassHunter25

That's funny I noticed a very large snake skin shed coming out of a hole in a live oak about a week ago. My thoughts were that is awful big and wide shed for any tree snakes. It was out of reach for me to examine. But I was thinking python. I have seen rattlers in trees around water.

Mako22

BANNED
I've heard of folks finding them 25' up in pine trees before. Probably a good place to ambush limb rats and birds.