Recruiting: Where things stand. [Georgia]

brownceluse

Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Recruiting: Where things stand

Realizing that not everyone has the time or money to follow recruiting on a daily basis, we’re going to try to start a new feature here on Le Blog: Basically, an update for the passive recruiting fan.

Today, with about six weeks till Signing Day, we’ll do this in three parts:

- First, a ranking of the most important current Georgia commitments. And by “most important,” I mean a combination of immediate impact, long-range potential, and filling a need position.
- Next, the top 10 remaining targets on Georgia’s big board: Not to say anyone not on the list has no chance of signing with Georgia, but according to the experts, these 10 are the main focus at this point for the Bulldogs.
- Finally, five questions with Dean Legge, the recruiting guru at DawgPost.com of the Scout.com network.

Onward and upward:

The most important current commitments (With height, weight and star-rankings by Scout.com and Rivals.com)

1. QB Christian LeMay, Matthews, NC
6-2 …. 188 ..4 stars by Scout-4 stars by Rivals
2. MLB Amarlo Herrera, College Park, Ga.
6-2 …. 215 …4-4
3. CB Nick Marshall, Rochelle, Ga.
6-2 …. 186 ….4-4
4. S Corey Moore, Griffin, Ga.
6-1 …. 185 ….4-4
5. OT Zach DeBell, Tarpon Springs, Fla.
6-7 …. 265 ….3-4
6. C David Andrews, Norcross, Ga.
6-2 …. 276 ….3-3
7. S Chris Sanders, Tucker, Ga.
6-0 …. 173 …4-3
8. OT Watts Dantzler, Dalton, Ga.
6-7 …. 310 … 3-3
9. WR Justin Scott-Wesley, Camilla, Ga.
5-11 … 202 …3-4
10. WR Chris Conley, Dallas, Ga.
6-2 … 185 …..4-3
11. DE Sterling Bailey, Gainesville, Ga.
6-4 …. 230 …..3-4
12. DT Chris Mayes, Griffin, Ga.
6-5 …. 292 …..3-4
13. G Hunter Long, Memphis, Tenn.
6-4 …. 290 ……3-3
14. CB Devin Bowman, Ridgeland, Ga.
6-0 …. 175 ….3-3
15. LS Nathan Theus, Jacksonville, Fla.
6-3 …. 252 ….. 2-2
16. WR Zach Witchett, Atlanta, Ga.
6-0 …. 185 …3-3

The top 10 (plus one) most important players left on the board

1. RB Isaiah Crowell, Columbus, Ga.
6-0 ….. 210 …. 5-4
2. DE Ray Drew, Thomasville, Ga.
6-5 ….. 248 …. 4-4
3. DT John Jenkins, Mississippi Gulf Coast JUCO
6-4 …. 340 ….. 4-4
4. TE Jay Rome, Valdosta, Ga.
6-6 ….. 240 …… 5-4
5. DE Cornellius Carradine, Butler (Kan.) Community College
6-5 ….. 260 ….. 4-5
6. OLB Xzaivier Dickson, Griffin, Ga.
6-4 ….. 248 …… 4-4
7. DE Jeoffrey Pagan, Asheville, NC
6-4 ….. 255 ….. 4-4
8. CB Damian Swann, Atlanta, Ga.
6-0 …… 175 ….. 4-4
9. CB Malcolm Mitchell, Valdosta, Ga.
6-1 …… 190 ….. 4-4
10. RB Quan Bray, LaGrange, Ga.
5-10 …… 175 …. 4-4
11. MLB Shannon Brown, Adel, Ga. (Alabama commitment)
6-2 ……. 237 …..4-4

Q&A with the Dean:

SE: So is your feeling is that the uncommitted prospects could make or break this class?

DL: There is no question that they will make or break the class. The class as it is right now doesn't have a true game-breaker; the type of player you have to have to win at a high level in the SEC. After a disappointing 2010 in recruiting, Georgia can't have another letdown with in-state prospects - particularly with the group of in-state players this season.

SE: The feeling lately on the trail is that Georgia now has a good chance for Crowell, Drew and Rome. Agree?

DL: I think if today was Signing Day Georgia would sign all three players. The problem for Georgia is that strange things can happen in recruiting during Janurary - witness Da'Rick Rogers last season. So the Bulldogs need to keep doing what they are doing now and knock the ball out of the park when Crowell arrives for his official visit in January.

SE: Mark Richt has spoken about really wanting a nose guard who could play right away. Is Jenkins that guy? And if he doesn’t come, what then?

DL: Jenkins is that guy - and they need to sign him because there just are not that many 3-4 NG bodies out there. Look how dominant Alabama was with Cody - with him 26-2; without him 16-9. It is not that simple, but it does make a difference. You have to have a NG in the 3-4, and right now Jenkins is one of only a few out there.

SE: Of the current commitments, who have the best chance to play right away?

DL: I'd say the receivers, particularly Justin Scott-Wesley and Chris Conley, will play right away. Not because they are ready for the SEC, because they are not, but because there is a big need there. Scott-Wesley has tremendous upside. Amarlo Herrera is a very solid linebacker, who might get some time on special teams and on defense. Nick Marshall is too talented not to play right away.

SE: Is this potentially the most important few weeks of recruiting in Mark Richt’s tenure?

DL: Yes. Mark needs to close the deal here. This is a chance to elevate in a big way the high-end talent at Georgia. Georgia is always going to have talent, but not all talent is created equal (see Florida 2009 vs. Florida 2010). This is a class that has a chance to be very, very strong - and help right away. It is an important time for Richt at Georgia, and this class - particularly Crowell - can help in spots right away.

Read more: http://dawg-extra.blogspot.com/2010/12/recruiting-where-things-stand.html#ixzz188mWY8xT

sandhillmike

Gone but not forgotten
looks like you guys are recruiting better in state this year.

MCBUCK

great thread.

Hut2

Thanks for posting!
Man ,I hope we do well with our recruiting this year.

lab

I hope we do well in recruiting this year and then we coach them better than we have the last few yrs.

maker4life

The more I saw Ray Drew this year the less impressd I was with him . He didn't even win all area defensive player of the year , that went to a junior LB from Cairo .

Last edited:

westcobbdog

The more I saw Ray Drew this year the less impressd I was with him . He didin't even win all area defensive player of the year , that went to a junior LB from Cairo .

Maker we need Mr Drew badly but need a few juco d linemen in the worst way.

Thanks for posting!

rex upshaw

The more I saw Ray Drew this year the less impressd I was with him . He didn't even win all area defensive player of the year , that went to a junior LB from Cairo .

that often happens when teams decide to run opposite of the best player. the guy is a stud.

MCBUCK

coggins

that often happens when teams decide to run opposite of the best player. the guy is a stud.

Dang right they do, I really hope this class holds together until signing day. We really need too re-establish the dominance of in-state recruiting.

rex upshaw

Keep us updated on that rex. New thread on it?

i believe he's announcing this evening. he had been an fsu lock, from what i've read, but uga got in late and has given him something to think about. we will see.

maker4life

That's not what happened though rex . I've seen quite a bit of him and the teams most sucessfull against Central ran right at him . He's full of potential and he's the best character kid in the country probably but for two years now I just haven't seen the on the field results .

He's big , fast and strong and may can put it all together . I'd still recruit him and want him on my team just for what he may turn into .

rex upshaw

That's not what happened though rex . I've seen quite a bit of him and the teams most sucessfull against Central ran right at him . He's full of potential and he's the best character kid in the country probably but for two years now I just haven't seen the on the field results .

He's big , fast and strong and may can put it all together . I'd still recruit him and want him on my team just for what he may turn into .

why do you think he has so many offers, from all the top schools? i'm asking this honestly, not trying to be a smart***. i don't see why a guy would be rated #1 at his position, #2 in the state and #28 in the country, just on upside alone. there are plenty of guys that have potential, but that doesn't make them an army all american.

and 1 of 6 finalist for player of the year award...

maker4life

Because he's 6'5 can run and is as strong as anybody in the state . He's rated so high because he's put up big combine numbers . That's how scout , rivals and all the others work . Little film but high grades if you show out at the combines you pay them to attend .

I've watched this guy his whole time in hs . He COULD be a great one but it wouldn't suprise me if he turns out to be a bust also .

rex upshaw

Because he's 6'5 can run and is as strong as anybody in the state . He's rated so high because he's put up big combine numbers . That's how scout , rivals and all the others work . Little film but high grades if you show out at the combines you pay them to attend . I've watched this guy his whole time in hs . He COULD be a great one but it wouldn't suprise me if he turns out to be a bust also .

that's fine, when talking about the recruiting sites, but that is not how college coaches evaluate talent. i don't think that coaches from bama, auburn, uga, florida, fsu etc. etc. evaluate a player. they don't pull up rivals and see how he is rated. they look at game film, watch the kid in action and evaluate the kid at camps.